Gore Mountain Conditions

Like X said, we all like skiing alone, with just our friends on the hill (aka Plattekill).

That BR quad was expensive because it has great capacity. Now that pod is getting skied more, because there is a new and fun blue trail, with the best part of a sweet older glade right next to it. It's popular.

Burnt Ridge has always been awesome, as side country, with one trail, with 4 glades, and now another trail.

And @snoloco gotta say, love see you using your powers for good! Sincerely.

Why was it so empty before? Because it was only 2 trails, one of which was always closed for racing. Now that it has another trail, people have more reason to go there. People don't go to the ski bowl, even with Backwoods open, because the lift is so slow. They're replacing it this summer.
Hudson chair is not the problem. It is comparable in length, vertical, age (except High Peaks) and speed to the other fixed chairs. If a detachable lift replacement is so necessary, why was High Peaks replaced with another fixed grip?
Ski Bowl now has a double black as steep as Lies and two long interesting blue and green trails, all with snowmaking, plus three glades and another black trail if we ever get snow. Still nobody there. I don’t know why nobody’s there, but it ain't the chair, which will be learned after it’s replaced.

Hudson is the second longest fixed grip only behind Topridge, but it runs much slower than Topridge. High Peaks is about an 8 minute ride, but Hudson is more like 10. Once the ride time gets over 9 minutes, people tend to avoid the lift because it's too slow.

Hudson chair is not the problem. It is comparable in length, vertical, age (except High Peaks) and speed to the other fixed chairs. If a detachable lift replacement is so necessary, why was High Peaks replaced with another fixed grip?
Ski Bowl now has a double black as steep as Lies and two long interesting blue and green trails, all with snowmaking, plus three glades and another black trail if we ever get snow. Still nobody there. I don’t know why nobody’s there, but it ain't the chair, which will be learned after it’s replaced.
I'm no Gore expert, having only been there a few times. But a chairmate advised me not to go to the Ski Bowl specifically because the chair was so slow. So the opinion is out there. I ignored him and gave it a shot and I couldn't believe how slow that chair was. Maybe I was primed to think that but it felt s...l...o...w....

Also, for the record, I don't think that 46er is anywhere near as steep as Lies. Not even close.

I'm no Gore expert, having only been there a few times. But a chairmate advised me not to go to the Ski Bowl specifically because the chair was so slow. So the opinion is out there. I ignored him and gave it a shot and I couldn't believe how slow that chair was. Maybe I was primed to think that but it felt s...l...o...w....

Also, for the record, I don't think that 46er is anywhere near as steep as Lies. Not even close.
The Hudson chair feels painfully slow, which indeed keeps me and the boys from spending more time in the bowl. Agreed that 46er doesn’t seem nearly as steep as Lies - my 8 y/o and I skied it a few weeks back for his first double diamond without any concern, but he’s definitely not ready for Lies.

After taking it a couple of times last week, yes it is slow. But, it seems like a fairly new chair-surprised they're replacing it so soon. Regarding 46'er vs Lies, I'd say the one pitch is probably as steep, but not the whole trail.

I posted this in the Whiteface thread:
"According to ORDA, the river flow minimum has never been triggered, but snowmaking does push up against the 6,000-gallons per minute limit."
How hard do they push against that limit, and can they increase the limit? And why did they build Hoyts and Wilmington if they are water limited? Did they not expect the kind winters we have now? When was the last time Whiteface was 100% by Xmas week?

mm
That applies double to Gore. They're spending $$$$ on expansions (new longer Hudson chair, widening Arena, widening upper Cloud, Pete's Paradise, straightening Steilhang, Backwoods, boardercross courses) without enough snowmaking to open what they had before all that. If they're water limited, why are they expanding at all?

But we're gonna get a zip thing, so we got that going for us.

mm

Last edited:
The steepest part of 46er is longer and steeper then the steepest part Lies. Sure that's my opinion, but it's also a fact. 🤠

FWIW that's what Mike Pratt told me back in the day. A layman's visual inspection of the topo is what lead me to ask, it looks as steep.

Speed of the Hudson Chair doesn't bother me at all. You guys who like to wait standing, I don't get it.

If they're water limited, why are they expanding
Come on Milo you've been paying attention lo these last few decades, right?

@snoloco did you say the 9,000 gpm permit was the limit, or was it pumping capacity? Or both?

I bet, what ever it is, it gets addressed, in the next decade. :)

Back