Gore Mountain Conditions

Should I wear a paper bag to cover my identity? Kind of embarrassing to go with a friend. They go to the mountain side you go out the back door? Not sure I have ever been back there before. One of the Ski Ambassadors told me he was glad to see the J-bar closed. Not easy for beginners to use? Slope I understand is a step up from magic carpets...yea. If B Cub Quad isn't running and I have to go backside of the lodge it will be my last trip. All the hoopla about the B Cub Quad, now it appears to be almost abandoned? From what I can remember it has only run a handful of times? Gondola I am sure will (and should) get their full attention now. Kind of like reserving a tee time at a golf course, then you get there and they politely say the course is closed for maintenance but we have a really good practice range... Enjoy yourself and be sure to spend $$$ in our lodge and bar!
On a separate note... When I give up on Gore, should I consider WhiteFace? It is an extra 30 minutes away, may be even more. Any terrain there I might be able to ski with the Frequent Skier Card? I believe, I was warned to avoid the "mixing bowl" at the bottom of the hill as being congested with a few too many bombers? Or was that a different mountain?
Or if not Whiteface, may be I should look to the Berkshires? Pico has the Bonanza trails. A bit more $$ but not that much further of a drive. Bummed.

Yes. If I recall, it barely ran last year, but they got it going early this season. Fills that gap between the conveyors and the new Bear Cub quad. Runout is generous and it is right by the lodge. Had my kids back there for over an hour just watching from the bottom. Only thing missing was a bench for my wife and I to sit on lol. All around great separate area for beginners.
Last year when the grandson was learning to snowboard, I kept a folding camp chair in the trunk. I did not use it too often but it was great for true spectators like my wife. At West the learner area use to be by the main lodge... with lots of windows. Now it is far to the right and a real hike for those just there to watch and support kids learning. Old close to the lodge area was replaced with a $$$ making tubing park!

Reactions: SDC
Should I wear a paper bag to cover my identity? Kind of embarrassing to go with a friend. They go to the mountain side you go out the back door? Not sure I have ever been back there before. One of the Ski Ambassadors told me he was glad to see the J-bar closed. Not easy for beginners to use? Slope I understand is a step up from magic carpets...yea. If B Cub Quad isn't running and I have to go backside of the lodge it will be my last trip. All the hoopla about the B Cub Quad, now it appears to be almost abandoned? From what I can remember it has only run a handful of times? Gondola I am sure will (and should) get their full attention now. Kind of like reserving a tee time at a golf course, then you get there and they politely say the course is closed for maintenance but we have a really good practice range... Enjoy yourself and be sure to spend $$$ in our lodge and bar!
On a separate note... When I give up on Gore, should I consider WhiteFace? It is an extra 30 minutes away, may be even more. Any terrain there I might be able to ski with the Frequent Skier Card? I believe, I was warned to avoid the "mixing bowl" at the bottom of the hill as being congested with a few too many bombers? Or was that a different mountain?
Or if not Whiteface, may be I should look to the Berkshires? Pico has the Bonanza trails. A bit more $$ but not that much further of a drive. Bummed.
Some of my best skiing memories have occurred riding a T-Bar.

Give Whiteface a shot if you already made the investment. They have the bear den. It's all beginner terrain.

The J bar is a lot closer to the lodge than bear cub!! Just don’t sit on it. Put it just under your butt, hold on to the bar and let it pull you. Ask the liftie for help the first time. It’s not hard, but if you sit , you will fall.

If you are taking a lesson the instructor will teach you.

Tom

update on gondi via tom's snow report on website:

1/5/24: The Summit & Bear Mountain are open! Access these mountain areas via Wood In and the High Peaks Quad. Please be aware that the Northwoods Gondola is currently undergoing mechanical repairs. A faulty bearing in the gearbox is the cause of our mechanical issue. A new bearing is en route. The gearbox has been disassembled and is ready for when the new part arrives. We are expecting the Northwoods Gondola to be back in operation by the middle of next week.

Back