Gore Mountain Conditions

A gearbox is something that usually does need replacing/overhaul in due time. How long they last is a function of the maintenance protocol and service load. It's a piece of equipment--in all industries--that is usually towards the top of the list for a predictive maintenance program...oil samples are usually taken and analyzed for signs of mechanical wear---often in the form of metal shavings/particles found in the oil, water content of the oil, viscosity of the oil, etc. It's all about trending---samples should be taken and analyzed periodically to look for how those metrics are trending because that's what indicates a looming problem.
✅ Yer Hired.
Listening for unusual sounds before shit breaks helps too.

Pray for snow folks. With the Gondi down we NEED the Burnt Ridge chair. They were working hard on Echo....
Today wasn't bad but weekend crowds could be a shitshow.

Pray for snow folks. With the Gondi down we NEED the Burnt Ridge chair. They were working hard on Echo....
Finishing Echo would absorb a lot of traffic, unless they blow it and then close it for a race. And then you also have to make snow on Pipeline and/or Cedars so you can get to the BR lift, both of which are a LOT of acres of snow.
How about blowing Lower Darby, Wood Lots, Santanoni and Hullabaloo, relatively few acres, so Darkside is a skiable pod and HP isn’t just a way to get somewhere else? But I may be, as we used to say when I worked in government, confusing logic with policy.

Finishing Echo would absorb a lot of traffic, unless they blow it and then close it for a race. And then you also have to make snow on Pipeline and/or Cedars so you can get to the BR lift, both of which are a LOT of acres of snow.
How about blowing Lower Darby, Wood Lots, Santanoni and Hullabaloo, relatively few acres, so Darkside is a skiable pod and HP isn’t just a way to get somewhere else? But I may be, as we used to say when I worked in government, confusing logic with policy.
There is an XC competition this weekend at the Ski Bowl, they need to build a skier cross course for the Hole Shot tour which starts January 28, NYSEF is gonna want Echo. You're all gonna need to manage your expectations until there's some real snow. The gondola down is the least of our problems.

mm

...they need to build a skier cross course for the Hole Shot tour which starts January 28, NYSEF is gonna want Echo. You're all gonna need to manage your expectations until there's some real snow. The gondola (and Bear Cub) down is the least of our are exacerbating problems.

mm
FIFY.
My bumps are now closed.
Count yer blessings.

I assume they'll finish Echo soon. They haven't started on Cedars or Hedges yet, so I don't see it opening in time for this weekend. Last year, they covered the other two Burnt Ridge trails shortly after Echo.

They built the Bear Cub Quad because Gore lacked a true beginner lift at the main base. The old platter lift was inadequate because it had terrible capacity, and often had long lines. They obviously have significant issues that need to be fixed, but there's no question that it was worth it to build the lift.
As a mid 70's retiree returning to skiing so I can enjoy my grandson learning to ski I am sure there are some who understand my disappointment over the Bear Cub Quad almost never running. A beginner lift feeding lower mountain trails played a huge part in my decision to by pass closer mountains. I have already received one Snow Guarantee... and have another trip planned for Friday. My expectations are pretty low. And now reading of the serious breakdown of the Gondola I wonder if any attention will be given to the NEW Bear Cub Lift. I am sure it is far down the list of priorities. I kept hoping it was just a staffing or demand issue. But seeing it was not running part of the holiday weekend kind of disproves that. "Worth it to build it" ? I guess so, eventually. But the question I have right now is "Is it worth enough to actually use it?" It appears not. Friday will be my fourth 'strike'.... sadly, after that I have to look elsewhere. Actually I am so tired of bitching and reading the similar comments of others re: Gore maybe it is time to de-blog for awhile. At least until after the "Nor'Easter" that may or may not happen this weekend. Good luck, enjoy, and stay safe!

As a mid 70's retiree returning to skiing so I can enjoy my grandson learning to ski I am sure there are some who understand my disappointment over the Bear Cub Quad almost never running. A beginner lift feeding lower mountain trails played a huge part in my decision to by pass closer mountains. I have already received one Snow Guarantee... and have another trip planned for Friday. My expectations are pretty low. And now reading of the serious breakdown of the Gondola I wonder if any attention will be given to the NEW Bear Cub Lift. I am sure it is far down the list of priorities. I kept hoping it was just a staffing or demand issue. But seeing it was not running part of the holiday weekend kind of disproves that. "Worth it to build it" ? I guess so, eventually. But the question I have right now is "Is it worth enough to actually use it?" It appears not. Friday will be my fourth 'strike'.... sadly, after that I have to look elsewhere. Actually I am so tired of bitching and reading the similar comments of others re: Gore maybe it is time to de-blog for awhile. At least until after the "Nor'Easter" that may or may not happen this weekend. Good luck, enjoy, and stay safe!
The web site says the j bar will be open tomorrow. The pitch is comparable to bear cub but it’s much shorter. I think it would be what you are looking for.

Tom

The web site says the j bar will be open tomorrow. The pitch is comparable to bear cub but it’s much shorter. I think it would be what you are looking for.

Tom
Ya even get to ski ⛷️ uphill too with something to hang onto.

The pitch is comparable to bear cub but it’s much shorter. I think it would be what you are looking for.

Yes. If I recall, it barely ran last year, but they got it going early this season. Fills that gap between the conveyors and the new Bear Cub quad. Runout is generous and it is right by the lodge. Had my kids back there for over an hour just watching from the bottom. Only thing missing was a bench for my wife and I to sit on lol. All around great separate area for beginners.

Back