Gore Mountain Conditions

Hawkeye yesterday had massive whales. That's the good news. The bad news is that they graded it last night. Sic transit gloria! It was good while it lasted.
The whales on hawkeye were great on Tuesday, but a frozen mess for the last few days, so the groom was welcome today. Chatiemac had fresh whales today and they were sweet fun! Tomorrow's report shows both trails getting groomed before the storm. They were lighting up the darkside around early afternoon with Hullabaloo and Lower Darby getting the snowmaking love, and hopefully they turn the guns on Lies back on, and finish that off. Topridge can't be groomed with the winch cat with the rock ledges showing on skiers left, so hopefully that gets some love tonight as well, and same goes for Open Pit!🙏(y)⛷️❄️

Last edited:
Is it just me or does Gore seem to be preparing only about 2/3rds of some of their longer runs the last few seasons? Started on Sagamore and Topridge and is now also the standard on Twister and Showcase and even portions of Sunway. Seems the new style snow guns only cover about half the run and there has been little effort to get these runs edge to edge at all even by season’s end. I’ve been voicing my concerns the last few years and have gotten a variety of explanations. Lack of manpower. Lack of natural snow. A method of preserving snow for the spring (that one perplexed me). Just seems to be something that could be addressed. I don’t know. Maybe I’m nitpicking.

Apologies if this has been discussed already.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does Gore seem to be preparing only about 2/3rds of some of their longer runs the last few seasons? Started on Sagamore and Topridge and is now also the standard on Twister and Showcase and even portions of Sunway. Seems the new style snow guns only cover about half the run and there has been little effort to get these runs edge to edge at all even by season’s end. I’ve been voicing my concerns the last few years and have gotten a variety of explanations.
Lack of manpower. Lack of natural snow. A method of preserving snow for the spring (that one perplexed me). Just seems to be something that could be addressed. I don’t know. Maybe I’m nitpicking.

Apologies if this has been discussed already.
Every trail you mentioned was cut twice as wide as it should have been. There is no reason to lay down a soccer pitch of snow on trails a hundred meters wide. Some time ago on this thread I made my pitch for the Gore Reforestation Initiative, where trees would be planted on these skiing boulevards to bring them back to a manageable width. It’s green, and saves water, power, money and time. Those trees could grow into new glade skiing right next to the existing trails.
Gore may have set a record this season with the miles of trails open early. If what that takes is blowing snow narrower so you can more efficiently open more trails sooner, I’m all for it. Work smarter, not harder.

Last edited:
My 4th visit to Gore today... Still NO Bear Cub Quad. This time I was told part was on order? Brand new lift already needs parts? Hmm. As suggested earlier I did try the J Bar lift and hill. After a few tries I did get the hang of the lift... first tap a warning, second tap is the one that starts the pull, stand stiff and straight, reach high up the connecting bar. Slope itself was a disappointment. Hard to explain but it has kind of a dual fall line. Downhill yes, but there is a second lean to the right downhill as well. No my first choice to learn or practice on.

With the Cubby Quad not working my skiing partners convinced me to re-try Sunway Chair lift. They praised the snow conditions highly and said I definitely should at least try it. Six runs later I agreed snow conditions were great. Only one fall and that was a mistaken turn onto a blue trail...Otter?

While I did gain confidence I could ski trails off Sunway Chair, the most important gain was in seeing what the trails off Cubby Quad will be. I am pleased to say they WILL be worth the wait. Absolutely the ideal terrain for skiers like me needing trails between magic carpet and longer true green trails. I could easily ski the Cubby Quad trails over and over again, with an occasional run from the Sunway Chair. And as a bonus the trails are just the right length that you get to practice the skills you need to work on.

Now I just have to wait out the repairs. I would call today a successful day of skiing at Gore... for me. Actually my FIRST successful day at Gore. My next successful day will be whenever the Cubby Quad starts running!
BTW a huge thank you needs to go out to the helpful crew at the J Bar lift. (y)

My 4th visit to Gore today... Still NO Bear Cub Quad. This time I was told part was on order? Brand new lift already needs parts? Hmm. As suggested earlier I did try the J Bar lift and hill. After a few tries I did get the hang of the lift... first tap a warning, second tap is the one that starts the pull, stand stiff and straight, reach high up the connecting bar. Slope itself was a disappointment. Hard to explain but it has kind of a dual fall line. Downhill yes, but there is a second lean to the right downhill as well. No my first choice to learn or practice on.
With the Cubby Quad not working my skiing partners convinced me to re-try Sunway Chair lift. They praised the snow conditions highly and said I definitely should at least try it. Six runs later I agreed snow conditions were great. Only one fall and that was a mistaken turn onto a blue trail...Otter?
While I did gain confidence I could ski trails off Sunway Chair, the most important gain was in seeing what the trails off Cubby Quad will be. I am pleased to say they WILL be worth the wait. Absolutely the ideal terrain for skiers like me needing trails between magic carpet and longer true green trails. I could easily ski the Cubby Quad trails over and over again, with an occasional run from the Sunway Chair. And as a bonus the trails are just the right length that you get to practice the skills you need to work on.
Now I just have to wait out the repairs. I would call today a successful day of skiing at Gore... for me. Actually my FIRST successful day at Gore. My next successful day will be whenever the Cubby Quad starts running!
Nice. When ya get more of the hang of if it you’ll appreciate slopes with different pitches.
Lots of em out there. Snow should be even better skiing for ya Monday and Tuesday.

Six runs later I agreed snow conditions were great.

Points for persistence CCB. Seriously.

One thing is important to remember, maybe you learned it today. The condition of the snow is everything.

The first time I took my daughter on 46er, Lies and Rumor, all in the same day, the conditions were perfect (corn). She nailed it and it changed everything, she is now confident she can ski off any lift at Gore.

where trees would be planted on these skiing boulevards to bring them back to a manageable width.

Not a bad idea at all. I never even considered that as a solution for those runs, but would certainly prefer trees to the current 2’-8’ drop offs riddled with chunks of hardpack washing out onto frozen rocks. Did anyone from the mountain ever respond to your proposal? Just curious because I’d suggested something similar to a previous assistant GM, but only for Hullabaloo and Lower Steilhang because I felt some “routine” cleanup got way too aggressive and had ruined the look of both of those runs. Jeez, North Star as well, now that I think of it.

Sadly resort trails rarely get narrower.

As we grow older it’s important that we continue to take on challenges that scare us, nice going.

I probably do not want to know the answer... Could someone who knows the correct people ask for me "What is the update on the Bear Cub Quad?" I have tried asking at the mountain but have gotten multiple answers. And honestly do not know who to ask. Gore? ORDA? What concerns me is the Daily Snow Report no longer even mentions the Cub Quad.Yes, it is still on the chart but never a written comment. Daily we get a mention of the Gondola. But never a single mention of the Cub Quad. Does this mean the new and highly promoted lift is simply not going to run? At least for the immediate future? Weeks? Month? Entire season? A grand opening ceremony and not much else. Personally I suspect a 'warranty' issue with the manufacturer or the installer. Just the type of "We can not comment because of ongoing legal concerns" stall that government agencies are famous for. A little transparency from ORDA would be appreciated.

Back