Gore Mountain Conditions

Gore is so bad at updating their snow report sometimes. If they're reporting the trails open, then the lifts have to also open. I would expect a delayed opening for the summit tomorrow, since they are attempting a very quick turnaround with Wood In. They hadn't even started making snow there as of mid-day Sunday.

Gore is so bad at updating their snow report sometimes. If they're reporting the trails open, then the lifts have to also open. I would expect a delayed opening for the summit tomorrow, since they are attempting a very quick turnaround with Wood In. They hadn't even started making snow there as of mid-day Sunday.
Lifties gotta bang the seats too ta get any gack off em on HP.
1704159429466.png

Ain’t been sat on in awhile for some reason.

So the gondi is 20+ years old. I'm guessing that's time for major service on a detach that runs every day.

@snoloco what work has been done on major moving parts? Is a gearbox something you'd routinely replace, or do you wait until it breaks?

The haulrope was replaced in 2015, but I'm not aware of any other work that was done other than routine maintenance. The gondola is 24 years old, and at that age, for detachables that run year round, usually a decision needs to be made on whether to complete a full overhaul of all major components, or replace the entire lift. If you look at other gondolas in the northeast, these are the ones that have received major overhauls, when they were originally built, when the overhaul was performed, and how old the lift was at the time.

Stratton, Summit Gondola, 1988, 2014, 26 years old.
Stowe, Mansfield Gondola, 1991, 2014, 23 years old.
Killington, K1 Gondola, 1997, 2018, 21 years old.
Whiteface, Cloudsplitter, 1999, 2020, 21 years old.

ORDA has an RFP out for new cabins for the Gore gondola. I'm not sure if anything else is planned. When Whiteface replaced their cabins, they also rewired the entire lift with a new control system. It significantly improved the reliability, which in the years leading up to the overhaul, was less than stellar.

So the gondi is 20+ years old. I'm guessing that's time for major service on a detach that runs every day.

@snoloco what work has been done on major moving parts? Is a gearbox something you'd routinely replace, or do you wait until it breaks?
We have seen this show before with the AdExpress Triple. The Gondola was installed in 1999. ORDA always keeps the lifts operating way past their sell by date. They are supposed to replace the cabins in 2024.
FYI - the WF gondola cabins were replaced in 2020.

When High Peaks is open, AE2 is the easiest route to every other lift, but the whole operating plan is focused on the gondola every day. Maybe if they got past that they could put more effort into opening High Peaks earlier, and keeping it later in the spring.

mm
Sage advice.
The HP pod holds it’s snow too on account of because where it is... ie Dark Side.
Elevation matters with ❄️ relating to snow/gack/r**n numbers.
A lot of ski places don’t have the “luxury” of the many different aspects Gore affords.
Use ‘em wisely.

A gearbox is something that usually does need replacing/overhaul in due time. How long they last is a function of the maintenance protocol and service load. It's a piece of equipment--in all industries--that is usually towards the top of the list for a predictive maintenance program...oil samples are usually taken and analyzed for signs of mechanical wear---often in the form of metal shavings/particles found in the oil, water content of the oil, viscosity of the oil, etc. It's all about trending---samples should be taken and analyzed periodically to look for how those metrics are trending because that's what indicates a looming problem.

Back