Gore Mountain Conditions

Full disclosure: I work as an instructor.
I recommend a lesson. I have coached many beginner skiers down sunway their first time. And most of the other instructors have a lot more experience than I do.

It sounds like you need to finish your turns. Try turning up the hill until you stop.

Tom

Full disclosure: I work as an instructor.
I recommend a lesson. I have coached many beginner skiers down sunway their first time. And most of the other instructors have a lot more experience than I do.

It sounds like you need to finish your turns. Try turning up the hill until you stop.

Tom
When I took my 1 and only formal ski lesson in my life (came free with a M-F pass a few years ago) the instructor told me to "try to finish yer turns".
Whenever I get to go to Gore my skis just like to go.

"Finish your turns"... I wish. I also post on Skitalk and they are all over me for skiing on weak, short skis. They are saying my 163cm Rossignol Pursuit 200 (2019) skis are simply not right for a 5'11" 205 pound guy... even an old guy like me. Yet, 2 ski shops locally still say the length is okay. All in all, frustrating enough that I may retry my 177cm Rossignol Cut 10.4 skis. I did have fair success skiing them on limited runs last year. I bought into the short and wider is better cult. Probably a mistake?

Agree its not the ski and agree, better to turn and head uphill to stop than get into the snowplow habit,
keep turning

"Finish your turns"... I wish. I also post on Skitalk and they are all over me for skiing on weak, short skis. They are saying my 163cm Rossignol Pursuit 200 (2019) skis are simply not right for a 5'11" 205 pound guy... even an old guy like me. Yet, 2 ski shops locally still say the length is okay. All in all, frustrating enough that I may retry my 177cm Rossignol Cut 10.4 skis. I did have fair success skiing them on limited runs last year. I bought into the short and wider is better cult. Probably a mistake?
I love skitalk but ignore them. There’s nothing wrong with short - I’m 6’3” and my daily drivers are 165cm. Find a good instructor.

Agree its not the ski and agree, better to turn and head uphill to stop than get into the snowplow habit,
keep turning
Snow plow habit?? I was skiing 30 years and still practiced the snow plow habit. If you can control your speed with the snow plow you can ski 90 % of the terrain. It's not a habit.

I appreciate the "it ain't the skis" comments. I understand I need to rebuild what skills I have left. That will be plan A. I replied on SkiTalk (in a pleasant way) that I was not about to start chasing equipment as a way of improving. I golf and know many who chase new equipment every year. The industry loves them.
As a humorous reply let me add I have seen some of the "no pizza" Shiffrin kids in training. always with parents. I call them missiles with helmets! I think that is why West Mt has the orange plastic netting at the bottom of the beginner hill.
Now back to Gore Conditions... How long will it take Gore to bounce back from the overnight rain? And has anyone actually used the Bear Cub Quad left? I am hopeful it will lead to the trails I can handle for now. I looked for some skier posted videos but have not seen any yet. Think COLD weather!

TomCat is right about finishing turns. Unless there is an uphill outrun, there are only 3 ways to control speed: finishing turns, snow plowing and (controlled) falling.
What prevents you from finishing a turn? For novice skiers, it's often that you have too much edge on your ski. Often it's the uphill ski that will either leave a pencil line in the snow or force the skier to lift that inside ski to bring it back to parallel. Look at your track in the snow to verify.
If that's the case, flatten out the ski by pushing your knee a little uphill as you finish the turn. A flat ski will turn. Keep turning uphill until you get to a stop. This may make for a wide turn, but so be it. Now try with the other side. As you improve, link them without coming to a stop. As you get better with that, tighten the turns up and seek more challenging terrain.

Back