Gore Mountain Conditions

With light ESE wind cloud could be from blowing ❄️ Uncas.
Trail report has a ❄️ thingy🍺for it.
Won’t speculate on folks’ sanity.
They are not blowing Open Pit or any other trail on the upper Mt.

Nice day. Got in at 8:15. On lift at 8:25. Couple Showcase and Quicksilver laps which were skiing nice and hadn't quite softened up yet but the snow was good and they weren't icy. Then up to Topridge for a few laps which was also skiing nicely. Then over to Tahawus and Sleeping Bear which both skiied nicely. Rinse and repeat pretty much rest of the day. Things did get softer as the day went on but never went full on spring. Topridge around 1 was ROTD and got many laps before I bugged out around 2:30.

Day 2 in the books...
1000002824.jpg

I was there as well. It has been a while since I was last there. Lodge improvements were helpful. Love the multiple wire racks to store bags. Huge improvement over having bags stuffed on and under tables, etc like many other resorts. There were certainly people there so the demand is great for early season. Lift lines were very manageable. I had waited for additional green trails to open... Lower Sunway, Pete's and then was disappointed at my ability to get down without multiple wrecks. I had off mountain rental boots there were clearly too large and probably too soft as well. Not a great return to skiing for me but the mountain was not to blame. I left around 1:30 when the snow was beginning to soften. Not sure if this is a common problem but I had to back up about 10 car lengths after my exit was blocked by parked cars? Fortunately I found a gap to escape thru. Anyone who is waiting ( and hoping) for the Bear Cub Quad to open will be disappointed. Poles and chairs were installed but there appeared to be quite a bit of work yet to do. My next trip will likely be with a learning to ski grandson. From my observations the beginner area although small was excellent. Perfect for confidence building. I am just not sure what trails he would graduate to next. There appeared to be quite a gap between the beginner and longer more challenging green trails. Thumbs up to Gore, especially for the snow making as there did not appear to be a lot of natural snow on the drive in.

I was there as well. It has been a while since I was last there...Lower Sunway, Pete's and then was disappointed at my ability to get down without multiple wrecks. I had off mountain rental boots there were clearly too large and probably too soft as well. Not a great return to skiing for me but the mountain was not to blame...My next trip will likely be with a learning to ski grandson.
Ask Santa Clause for some properly fitted ski boots.
They should pair well with yer new skis.
Have fun.

I might beat Santa to it....
I was originally looking at Alpina X5... rented wrong size
BUT was the 60 Flex also too soft ?
I now am considering Dabello Veloce 75 Max a size smaller
Or even the same model (?) MX 75 from last year.
Have not skied them but did get to try them on at local shop.

Saturday was very enjoyable. Brought one of my daughters friends with us who doesn't ski as much and was very glad Sunway chair was open. Sleeping Bear and Tahawus were her favorite runs of the day. Overall the snow was really nice and soft. It was nice that the sun didn't really come out, kept everything skiing nicely. Driving home in the pouring rain yesterday was not the best. Glad to see the mountain is reporting 5.5 inches as I only see 1-2 of very wet snow on the home webcam in the valley.

My confidence and skill level are quite low after the loose boot fiasco last Saturday. So I am hoping Gore opens the conveyors at the bottom of the mountain on Friday. Probably no kid or adult lesson scheduled so they might leave it closed? I want to check out new boots, build some confidence before heading up the Sunway Chair again. Not the mountain's fault for sure but I remembered those green trails as being easier. It would have even helped if they had been shorter... a long way down when you are crashing every 150 yards . :(
Glad Gore did not get washed away. I agree with the previous post... that is a pretty skimpy accumulation at the base lodge. Here 40 miles south we got a lot of rain,briefly had snow, then watched it melt away in 40+ degree weather. I always root for West Mt... They make great snow, have lights, BUT the warm weather always fights them. From a distance you see snow on the mountain for weeks before they can finally open. Less than 2 weeks to the Christmas school break... fingers crossed all the mountains big and local get a couple of significant snows before then. They could use the $$$$$.

Back