Gore Mountain Conditions

Can I assume there are no road closure issues getting to the mountain?
I would be coming from the south thru Warrensburg.

The roads are fine from Albany to Gore.
I don't often see any cars stopped by troopers on the Northway, but I saw three today. One around Exit 16 or 17, another at the construction zone near Exit 22 and one on the way home. I usually cruise the Northway at 78 and I've never been stopped, but maybe something has changed?
Also, Gore was surprisingly good today. Firm and fast, but edgible everywhere, and all the Topridge trails were open, Also too, sausage tortellini soup today!

mm

Last edited:
The roads are fine from Albany to Gore.
I don't often see any cars stopped by troopers on the Northway, but I saw three today. One around Exit 16 or 17, another at the construction zone near Exit 22 and one on the way home. I usually cruise the Northway at 78 and I've never been stopped, but maybe something has changed?
Also, Gore was surprisingly good today. Firm and fast, but edgible everywhere, and all the Topridge trails were open, Also too, sausage tortellini soup today!

mm
NYS has cameras on the northway in construction zones that will give you an expensive automatic ticket, fyi.

Reactions: MC2
NYS has cameras on the northway in construction zones that will give you an expensive automatic ticket, fyi.
Any one else aware of the cameras? Totally news to me?
Back to skiing.... I have had a terrible start to this year's season. I am on 'new to me' skis, wearing new boots and just plain have lost all confidence after two days of crashes. Before I make a third trek to Gore can someone offer an opinion on the trails off the new Bear Cub Quad? Are they indeed easier than Pete's and Jamboree? And how is the snow cover there? Sadly, I really need some truly easy terrain.

There's no sign for a camera on the Northway anymore, and I think that means it's gone. You can check dot.ny.gov if you are concerned about that. Today there was a live cop stopping someone, which is worse than a camera ticket because it’s theoretically a moving violation.
The terrain under the new lift looks easy to me but you should ask a Gore instructor. All greens look the same to anyone who is comfortable skiing blues and blacks.

mm

Before I make a third trek to Gore can someone offer an opinion on the trails off the new Bear Cub Quad? Are they indeed easier than Pete's and Jamboree? And how is the snow cover there? Sadly, I really need some truly easy terrain.
When I was with a first timer last march, he found that lower Sunway beyond Pete's Paradise is significantly easier than the stretch of Sunway from the top of the Sunway Chair to the bottom of Otter Slide. So I think you will find the terrain off the new chair to be fairly manageable, although parts may be pretty similar to Jamboree.

When I was with a first timer last march, he found that lower Sunway beyond Pete's Paradise is significantly easier than the stretch of Sunway from the top of the Sunway Chair to the bottom of Otter Slide. So I think you will find the terrain off the new chair to be fairly manageable, although parts may be pretty similar to Jamboree.
Yeah that pitch you referenced is pretty challenging for beginner/early novice. Some years ago lots of tears from my younger one. Now most of Gore is her playground (though probably not this year given our Ikon pass).

I have had a terrible start to this year's season. I am on 'new to me' skis, wearing new boots and just plain have lost all confidence after two days of crashes
Confidence is everything when it comes to skiing. Just as a suggestion, I think you'd benefit from a lesson. If that's not possible for you then the next best thing is to follow someone who's making decent turns. Follow behind them, turn where they turn, and try to emulate their movements.

Confidence is everything when it comes to skiing. Just as a suggestion, I think you'd benefit from a lesson. If that's not possible for you then the next best thing is to follow someone who's making decent turns. Follow behind them, turn where they turn, and try to emulate their movements.
Great advice Campy ! I learned that way playing "Follow the Leader" behind my two extremely experienced ski buddies "Plimps " who skied for SLU and Tom who skied for Dartmouth.As many know I didn't take up downhill skiing till age 50 had XC'ed for decades 😉

Just made the same moves they made and quickly learned a couple of important things : how to edge and that a little speed made carving a lot easier

Akso Helped to get over the speed fear factor that plagues most newbies

Last edited:
Back