Gore Mountain Conditions

Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 4.02.16 PM.png

They are not blowing Open Pit or any other trail on the upper Mt.
Looks like a ratnik now set up to blow ❄️ when the next window comes.
1702752299834.png

Don’t know if it’ll opener up before the solstice but could be before the New Year.
It’s colder up there.

Last edited:
Very nice day on the mountain today. Was pretty hard to start the morning but most stuff softened up nicely. Was a little disappointed that Uncas never opened. I heard it was open yesterday and was very nice. Top Ridge was our favorite today, was hard and fast in the morning and soft and bumped up in the afternoon. Rode the new Bear Cub lift, while it seems like a lot of effort for not much return it will give beginners a lot more options and I think could open Gore up to families a little more. Overall day 4 for the year was a success. Let's hope the rain doesn't do too much damage.

Very nice day on the mountain today. Was pretty hard to start the morning but most stuff softened up nicely. Was a little disappointed that Uncas never opened. I heard it was open yesterday and was very nice. Top Ridge was our favorite today, was hard and fast in the morning and soft and bumped up in the afternoon. Rode the new Bear Cub lift, while it seems like a lot of effort for not much return it will give beginners a lot more options and I think could open Gore up to families a little more. Overall day 4 for the year was a success. Let's hope the rain doesn't do too much damage.
I agree that the new lift will be good for newbies. The lines at the old Poma could get really long during peak periods. Of course the extra capacity means more traffic on the trail.

Tom

Echo your report. What was up with the crowds today!? For mid December I was not expecting all the main lots to be full at 8:40 and with not much terrain open or new snow. At times Topridge was a human slalom run as was Showcase. Not blaming the mountain as glad people came out and terrain is limited but damn not what I expected this early in the season.

Agree with all the reports and add that sun was also glorious today.

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 50
I sometimes have mixed feelings about Gore. But it sure is nice to have a mountain you can depend upon to have skiing and boarding weeks before the holiday crunch! And the Frequent Skier card for long retired guys like myself is quite the amazing value. Mid Week whole mountain for $25, wow. Unfortunately at nearly 75, and after a 20 year layoff, my skill level has regressed badly and Gore has become a challenge. That leads to my mixed feelings. Here you have this rather gorgeous facility backed by the State's generous checkbook while the local resorts struggle year to year. I will feel guilty being there once the local mountains open but it sure is nice to see the huge improvements to the lodge and lifts from what I remembered from the late 1990's. The other mixed feeling comes from the mix of terrain. In my view there has always been a gap from true learner area to the green "easiest" slopes. Thankfully the behind the base lodge learner area appears to be retired? But that means the conveyor / magic carpet is small once the in season crowds hit. And once you master that area where do you go? Up the Sunway Chair? Take it from a low skilled senior, those runs down from top of Sunway Chair are quite a jump up in length and challenge. But the State's checkbook may have offered a solution... Bear Cub Quad! I am so hopeful the Bear Cub Q fills that gap. A real lift to modest terrain graduating beginners and returning seniors can get some runs on before taking on More Gore. I was there Friday, a day before the grand opening so I will be waiting a few days before giving it a try. If it works I will consider forgiving Gore for being the State banked giant vs my local mountain.
Let me add a Thank You to a Gore Ambassador, (Chris) who took extra time to help a senior down terrain he was not ready for yet. (y)

I sometimes have mixed feelings about Gore. But it sure is nice to have a mountain you can depend upon to have skiing and boarding weeks before the holiday crunch! And the Frequent Skier card for long retired guys like myself is quite the amazing value. Mid Week whole mountain for $25, wow. Unfortunately at nearly 75, and after a 20 year layoff, my skill level has regressed badly and Gore has become a challenge. That leads to my mixed feelings. Here you have this rather gorgeous facility backed by the State's generous checkbook while the local resorts struggle year to year. I will feel guilty being there once the local mountains open but it sure is nice to see the huge improvements to the lodge and lifts from what I remembered from the late 1990's. The other mixed feeling comes from the mix of terrain. In my view there has always been a gap from true learner area to the green "easiest" slopes. Thankfully the behind the base lodge learner area appears to be retired? But that means the conveyor / magic carpet is small once the in season crowds hit. And once you master that area where do you go? Up the Sunway Chair? Take it from a low skilled senior, those runs down from top of Sunway Chair are quite a jump up in length and challenge. But the State's checkbook may have offered a solution... Bear Cub Quad! I am so hopeful the Bear Cub Q fills that gap. A real lift to modest terrain graduating beginners and returning seniors can get some runs on before taking on More Gore. I was there Friday, a day before the grand opening so I will be waiting a few days before giving it a try. If it works I will consider forgiving Gore for being the State banked giant vs my local mountain.
Let me add a Thank You to a Gore Ambassador, (Chris) who took extra time to help a senior down terrain he was not ready for yet. (y)
Yup. Had M-F season passes, FSCs and also on-line lift tickets since retirement. All were good deals if ya used em. Some places don’t give Sr. discounts.
Keep moving and cut down on yer crashes. Skiing is a fun outdoors way to still experience G’s/speed if ya do it safely.
If ya paid taxe$ in NYS ya shouldn’t feel guilty.
Sometimes Sunway is more of a challenge than other trails due to conditions/crowds.
Pick yer daze. M-F FTW. Have fun.
Skiing is fun.

Last edited:
In my view there has always been a gap from true learner area to the green "easiest" slopes.

I can see how this would drive your preference. But each mountain is what it is, topographically.

If you go to Plattekill there really isn't much room to add more green terrain, within the current boundary. I actually think Gore has a pretty good mix, but I haven't really paid attention to what is open right now.

The Sunway/Pete's area seems pretty legit, and once you graduate from there, North and East are pretty solid.

Sorry if you have told this before, do you ski Belle?

Also what about some lessons?

Bellerye would be a trek for me. Royal Mountain has been suggested as an option with a beginner area. Oak Mountain is near Gore but I know nothing about it. Locally West Mt will offer some mid week skiing probably by the first week in January. They did a 'soft' opening this weekend. They posted a ton of pictures on Facebook page... people were definitely enjoying the day. Of course you could see it was really a ribbon of man made snow. Sadly the predicted rain will set them back for sure. They make great snow but need cold weather...
I have spend two days now at Gore mostly in the magic carpet area. I pretty much know the 'lessons' by heart. Yet each time I try to graduate to Pete's (as an example) I get too much speed, over correct and crash. I need that modest terrain I am hoping the Bear Cub Quad and Lower Sunway combo will provide. A " Small steps for mankind... " kind of advancement. Right now I am nursing thigh bruise and a sore stomach. Did not know it was possible to do a belly flop on skis!

Back