Backwoods

20230220_104642.jpg

Sagamore was excellent

20230220_115007.jpg

On top of the world

20230219_110637.jpg

Choices

Last edited:
Wow! What a sleeper day! Expected not much and definitely not that things would soften as they did based on the forecast but boy did they. Lapped 46er, Sagamore, and Echo early before moving up top. Topridge was soft but the new manmade turned to literal cement from the sun. Moved on to Rumor and Lies and never left.

The first corn harvest was sweet and definitely didn't expect for the Rumor glacier to soften up today and ski like it does in April. When the sun was on it for about an hour it was about as good as it gets. Lies was great too throughout especially in the gully.

Normally when it's questionable temps for snow softening I end up on the wrong side with things not getting warm enough or enough sun to soften. Was good to come out with a winner today and totally exceeded any and all expectations.

Attachments

• PXL_20230220_175006463.jpg
    PXL_20230220_175006463.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 79
  • PXL_20230220_192254443.jpg
    PXL_20230220_192254443.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 78
This would be an awesome post in late March / early April ….

Reactions: MC2
Good skiing yesterday up til noon when i had to leave due to an underage hot cocoa pant spill.

Sagamore was soft and very skiable, comparing very favorably to Sunday when it was still fun but ungroomed and at times bowling ball shiny.

Echo was very fun, very soft snow. I actually fell there somehow, not sure if it was a random edge or being a bit lazy leaning too much up hill.

Took son and quasi niece on 46er on good, not great conditions around 11:30, they skied through the headwall without stopping so that was cool. Got the normal 12-year-old, 'that wasn't as hard as I thought' after. The snow was great on the trail; by the time we got to the headwall plenty of skiable but in a handful of the steeper spots, you had to pick your turns or adjust to snow/scraper/snow skiing tactics in short order.

Backwoods was super fun, and for the first time I have ever skied it (maybe a total of 10 times) the green connecter to the ski bowl was NOT icy in the shade. So that was nice.

Bottom of twister steepish area super fun with some bare spots to play around (or in depending on your tolerance).

Hi all! New to this forum, have a season pass to Gore this year though, but rarely have a chance to get up on the weekends so yesterday was the first day I got to ski the Burnt Ridge/ Ski Bowl area.

Conditions were a little better than I expected actually, but still lots of ice and bare spots around. Was hoping they'd blow snow last night, but checked the report this morning and looks like none of the guns were on, anyone know why? Was hoping they could get a better base built up before the snow tonight/ tomorrow.

Chances are pretty good we've seen each other around if you're there on Mons/ Tues, I'm the guy with the blue jacket and obnoxious white/ blue/ orange pants

Last edited:
Skied til 11. Fun dives down hullabaloo and lower Darby. Fast and firm.

Met Mike K a midweek skier and we lapped tahawus and sleeping best to start. Mike you are a ripper and thanks for skiing.

Found a sweet high speed EvolveNy charger in Clifton or Clifton park ny and grabbed lunch on the way home. Pulled pretty good juice (350 per hour) at a pretty high state of charge.

To complete the Empire State state of mind may take my kids fishing on the beach in the car on Long Island tomorrow. A handful of the 4x4 beaches are open year round by permit.

Got home with 75 miles of charge very happy I got the snow tires as the car was glued to the taconic including in snow and mixed precip.

Guessoneter 180 miles out was within 5 miles and that is before snow and rain which I think it does not factor and reduces efficiency.

Back