Gore Mountain Conditions

If you thought today was good skiing, then I have a bridge to sell you. Combine the less than ideal conditions, with a holiday crowd, lift problems, and a bunch of random trail closures due to "ice" right as the trails were starting to soften, and that was enough for me to consider it disappointing.
It was great skiing. It is not only about the conditions. And there was good snow on the sides of most trails I was on albeit sometimes only a ski width.

46er was closed by the time I got to it and Sagmore was closed after I only got one run. I was pissed because they were both starting to soften by then, yet patrol completely gave up on them. Either they were overly cautious or just being lazy. I've skied trails at Killington that were in far worse condition yet open, even yesterday, so the "but it's a holiday weekend" excuse doesn't work here.

If you thought today was good skiing, then I have a bridge to sell you. Combine the less than ideal conditions, with a holiday crowd, lift problems, and a bunch of random trail closures due to "ice" right as the trails were starting to soften, and that was enough for me to consider it disappointing.
Heard skiing was good today

I did. Firm. Fast. Crowded. Bluebird. - Yukon
Shocked by lacked of crowds. - Dom
Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded. - Lawrence Peter Berra

Conditions were definitely terrible. We went in for lunch at 10am (kids got hungry ) and thought we’d call it a day after a couple more runs but somehow we stayed until 3pm and skied 20k. we just accepted the bad conditions and made it work and had a lot of fun. Topridge and Tahawas had some recent snow making so we lapped those several times. But not good enough to go back tomorrow

Last edited:
I did. Firm. Fast. Crowded. Bluebird. - Yukon
Shocked by lacked of crowds. - Dom
Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too crowded. - Lawrence Peter Berra
I will add that we had a lot of fun regardless. I recommend that attitude!

(It was crowded on the main mountain, but not elsewhere). Conditions were much better than I though they would be after the rain and cooldown.

Conditions were definitely terrible. We went in for lunch at 10am (kids got hungry ) and thought we’d call it a day after a couple more runs but somehow we stayed until 3pm and skied 20k. we just accepted the bad conditions and made it work and had a lot of fun.
100% this.

I finally got to take pictures of the new Backwoods trail:

20230219_140201.jpg

20230219_140224.jpg

20230219_140258.jpg

20230219_140342.jpg

20230219_140418.jpg

20230219_140433.jpg

20230219_140507.jpg

I will add that we had a lot of fun regardless. I recommend that attitude!

(It was crowded on the main mountain, but not elsewhere). Conditions were much better than I though they would be after the rain and cooldown.
That’s what Milo and I have always said about Gore - on a crowded day you can head for one of the remote pods and have a lot more room to maneuver.

Back