Gore Mountain Conditions

Going to be scratchy this afternoon. But conditions very nice early this morning considering the January hand we’ve been dealt.

For all the concern, emotion and various conversations, the FISU events are pretty cool to see up close and in person. Worth a visit if you are on the fence. But my real gut feeling now is that in person attendance probably does not matter for these events or for the profitability of the organizers… local biz and Gore and the like probably have a different take on this. My feeling having now seen the impressive and colorful set up is that it is all about international TV rights and likely geared toward European audiences where winter sports matters.
I think you are onto something with the European audiences being the target market. Relatively few Americans seem to participate in the games. It was fun to watch at our home hill though, made the kids excited to see all the infrastructure set up in the Arena. We're going to try and get back to Gore this Friday to watch the big air finals.

Unfortunately for local businesses all the athletes are staying at the Great Escape Lodge in Queensbury and are shuttled too and from the mountain each day and have very little interaction with local businesses.

We were up in Lake Placid on Saturday. Main street was closed down, there was live music and tents set up with games and demonstrations. It was well done. I think Orda may have failed to properly advertise the games downstate, or perhaps the weather kept people away. But I was very surprised by the lack of crowds all weekend.

The primary goal in hosting these events is not attracting spectator. They would be nice winter sports are better watched on TV. They get the teams and family that support the locals. This event was all about getting the funds to upgrade to bring all the venues up to FIS standards. Huge win for LP.

Unfortunately for local businesses all the athletes are staying at the Great Escape Lodge in Queensbury and are shuttled too and from the mountain each day and have very little interaction with local businesses.

We were up in Lake Placid on Saturday. Main street was closed down, there was live music and tents set up with games and demonstrations. It was well done. I think Orda may have failed to properly advertise the games downstate, or perhaps the weather kept people away. But I was very surprised by the lack of crowds all weekend.
It’s a few days old “news”.

Found this a bit funny. Located at the entrance to lot H which is the one farthest from the base area. Almost at the bottom of the access road.
Gore Protest

The primary goal in hosting these events is not attracting spectator. They would be nice winter sports are better watched on TV. They get the teams and family that support the locals.
So if the primary goal is not to attract spectators to fill the beds/businesses around Lake Placid, why did NYS spend hundreds of millions in and around the ORDA facilities? They have been talking about the WUG for years.
This event was all about getting the funds to upgrade to bring all the venues up to FIS standards. Huge win for LP.
What? How was it a win? There were no big crowds for the WUG. If this event did not draw people to LP, why will an FIS approved facility draw people to LP in the future? Why did NYS spend all the money if not to draw people to LP?

So if the primary goal is not to attract spectators to fill the beds/businesses around Lake Placid, why did NYS spend hundreds of millions in and around the ORDA facilities? They have been talking about the WUG for years.

What? How was it a win? There were no big crowds for the WUG. If this event did not draw people to LP, why will an FIS approved facility draw people to LP in the future? Why did NYS spend all the money if not to draw people to LP?
How many countries are generally represented at a world cup event. They have to stay somewhere and eat somewhere. It's a direct hit for orda's primary mission.
If the venues are not up to code they can't even bid on the events. Do you propose letting them fall into disrepair?

Last edited:
Back