Gore Mountain Conditions

Conditions were very good today. A bit better each day since the rain on Friday. Finished early and watched some boarders get some air.

A few inches expected tomorrow.

Tom

So if the primary goal is not to attract spectators to fill the beds/businesses around Lake Placid, why did NYS spend hundreds of millions in and around the ORDA facilities? They have been talking about the WUG for years.

What? How was it a win? There were no big crowds for the WUG. If this event did not draw people to LP, why will an FIS approved facility draw people to LP in the future? Why did NYS spend all the money if not to draw people to LP?
After the 1980 Olympics, Lake Placid’s venues met WC standard for a decade or so after, and it hosted many WCs in alpine, nordic, biathlon, bobsled. By the 2000s they no longer could. After the upgrades they can again bid for WCs.
Honestly, a WC may draw more Euros to take a vacation in the US to see some events than it will draw Americans, and that may be ORDA’s long game - to keep Lake Placid on the world stage as a venue for international level events.

How many countries are generally represented at a world cup event. They have to stay somewhere and eat somewhere. It's a direct hit for orda's primary mission.
If the venues are not up to code they can't even bid on the events. Do you propose letting them fall into disrepair?
There are fewer teams and athletes at North America WCs than those in Europe, especially from the smaller/less affluent teams. It’s a cost-benefit analysis - is it worth the expense, jet lag, etc. to come here to keep your rivals from scooping up a lot of WC points uncontested.

Will be at Gore tomorrow, I usually just meander around the pods following the sun and avoiding crowds. Any game plan recommendations from the Gore regulars based on what's open and the potential for some fresh snow?

Parking on Saturday made it to the widened area on the access road, Sunday was just past that
I think a lot of that was due to the upper lots being reserved for WUG use. I was impressed with the efficiency of the shuttle system Sunday.

Will be at Gore tomorrow, I usually just meander around the pods following the sun and avoiding crowds. Any game plan recommendations from the Gore regulars based on what's open and the potential for some fresh snow?
If I were you, I would meander around the pods following the sun & avoiding crowds.

But if that rope on Cedars is down in the morning when everyone is getting on the Gondola, starting on Burnt Ridge (opening it up for the season after extensive snowmaking & some natural on top) would be sweet.

Back