Your Favorite Car of All Time

Cars to me are like an appliance.
Nicest and quickest was the 5 speed Maxima with the world’s largest moon roof at the time.
Put over 300K on it and it still ran well but rust ended up hurting it’s bones.
Thing was a beast in the snow.

Last edited:
1985 I work road construction. We're working in Cambridge, New York and I lived in Troy, New York. It's probably a 40 mile drive. My sister was getting married on a Friday at 5:30 and we work till 4:00. I needed to book to get to the wedding on time. Me and my two buddies jump in the car and take off. I go flying into Cambridge and come up to the light step on the brakes and no brakes. Luckily it was a standard so at least I could keep driving. I had to make time though. We used to cut through this dirt road to take off 10 minutes. I didn't think much about it cuz I was young and dumb. I remember looking over at those two and I've never seen two people so scared in their life. Got home with plenty of time to shower Get my suit on and make it on time. That vw used to break all the time too

1958-chevrolet-biscayne-2-door-for-sale-2018-03-08-1.jpg

1958 Biscayne with a 283. The consensus among my friends was that it was the rustiest car in North America. I drove that thing everywhere from Montauk to Stowe. I also met the hottest girlfriend I ever had when I was driving that car, and that's what probably why I still have a fetish for junky old cars.

mm

Last edited:
That looks like A-Team workmanship on the duct tape and plastic window.
Thanks for noticing. Not to brag but I did such a good job, there was barely any additional noise - to the point where I never got around to buying new glass for it. It stayed that way for about two years.

this is the coolest best looking car ever made....period...imo nothing has ever come close

petrolicious.png

Petrolicious

1967-jaguar-xke-10-1000x667.jpg
my uncle had one. never ran well. always needed a tow. I agree though, very sharp looking. I had a 1985 mustang GT with T tops. was a total rocket ship. didn't handle very well but was fast.

I have 2 favorites: Our 1994 Jeep Cherokee, ordered a few months before our first child came along and we realized that our 2 door 1988 Mustang LX hatchback, even with the 5.0 engine, wasn't going to be very practical. Two very special cars for us.

The Mustang was the first brand new car I ever bought. It was hiding in the back of a large dealer's lot, way away from the 25 or so other Mustangs. It was the only one that was an LX with a 5.0 engine, the definition of a sleeper. It had all the mechanics of the GT (engine, brakes, suspension) but none of the dumb plastic body cladding, rear spoiler, and ridiculous insurance bill. It had cruise control, radio, air-conditioning and an automatic transmission and was the last car I've had with manual locks and wind up windows. We kept it for 20 years and only replaced it because the wife wanted a convertible.

The Cherokee was ordered in Country trim with all the optional fixings, completely opposite of the Mustang. Two tone paint, 4.0 HO 6 cylinder engine, heavy duty tow package and rear axle, full and part time 4WD, anti lock brakes, remote entry, electric windows and locks, 12 disk CD changer, cassette player, upgraded speakers, outside mounted spare tire, cruise control, off road lights, auto dimming high beams, fog lights, upgraded tires, even fake wood trim and something that was a pretty new option: built in cupholders, front and rear. "JeepJeep" as the kids called it, ran for 250,000 miles before I sold it nearly 15 years later. While the cupholders were a big hit with the family, it (and we) would have been killed three years after we bought it but for the anti-lock brakes. We were towing our boat down I-95 when a truck jack-knifed in front of us. I've never stepped on the brakes so hard before or since. Both boat and boat trailer (no brakes on it) steered around and stopped next to the truck, anti locks pounding for what felt like 30 seconds, but was probably only 5.

Both have long since been replaced with vehicles that are better on paper, but somehow not as good in my mind.

What was the car that you look fondly back on because of the role it played in your life?
For me it would be my dad's early 70's Karmann Ghia convertible. The car was yellow with a black top and black racing stripe. As a kid I loved the smell of that heavy, thick, indestructible vinyl interior. This is the car that my dad and I would take EVRY Saturday morning to our local IGA and get donuts. When it wouldn't start due to a flat spot in the starter I would always have a blast helping my dad push start the thing. Always got a kick out of pushing the car with the doors open. then jumping in a moving car, slamming the doors, then taking off after it fired.
The thing got so rusty that dad was afraid it would break in half if he put the top down so he sold it.
Fun car, fun memories.

Now, after spending so many years in the business I think they're all junk ;)

Back