Whiteface Conditions

Yeah, quite disappointing.

What was open today was decent, and I feel for the weather that Jan has provided to date, but still..…
If it weren't for the lift failure, then they'd have all of the summit except Upper Cloudspin and The Slides, plus whatever was open on Little Whiteface. That's not bad all things considered.

However, if in fact the Summit Quad is going to be closed for a while, then they're down to just Little Whiteface. That is pretty terrible if you ask me. I mean it's less vertical than they had on opening day. Or maybe it reopens tomorrow. Who knows.

If open terrain is not available off all lifts, then it leaves a lot less redundancy to work around any lift failure. This is why Stowe's Fourrunner Quad breakdown was so problematic. They didn't have open terrain off any other lift, so they were down to just a double. Now for Whiteface, they are down to a gondola that doesn't have particularly good throughput, and a double for upper lifts.

Last edited:
From today's snow report. "The Summit Quad will have a delayed start providing us with 3 additional trails when it does."
Yeah ... I saw that ...

I also noticed something else, that I've never actually noticed before ... apparently, the gondola counts as TWO lifts ...

They must be using the same math to calculate the ROI on the new Bear Den lift.

Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 7.09.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 7.10.09 AM.png

That's to differentiate whether it's open to foot traffic or not. Still weird to count it as two lifts.

Lift 6 was running this morning. Lots of lift mechanics there. Was not on diesel engine. There is hope!

Lift 6 was running this morning. Lots of lift mechanics there. Was not on diesel engine. There is hope!
Yeah ... Rumors of it's "demise" were apparently overblown ... The story that was apparently going around yesterday was that the motor was blown ... today, I heard it was a derailment ... I left at 11:00 ... it was running and there were a bunch of patrollers near the bottom ... hopefully they'll get it up & running today.

They were still blowing snow on Skyward, so one would have to assume that if it was a very serious issue, they would have turned the guns off.

Decent conditions this morning (not on Upper Essex), but visibility was a nightmare, particularly early on ... there was a freezing mist in the air that made things rather unpleasant, but it got better as the morning progressed.

Summit Quad is now open.

Skyward and Niagara are not open. Even without yesterdays snafu I don’t think they’ll be ready for a couple days, by the time the snow drains and they groom it out. Too bad we can’t ski it under the guns today (although a few people have poached it).

For late Jan it’s a little disappointing (blame the weather more than anything else) that Wilderness and Mackenzie aren’t open. They usually are by now.

You are right, otherwise there is plenty of terrain, although 50% on Jan 22 does not a great year make. Too bad the storm coming in tonight seems to be trending south.

Back