Whiteface Conditions

I heard from a reliable source that there is a problem with the motor. It took 45 minutes to offload it, likely with diesel. Further, from the source, don't expect it to re-open any time soon.
It was definitely running on the backup when the stopped loading this morning. At first I thought, "well they're still blowing snow at the summit." (Impressive amount btw) Thinking they'd shut the guns off of it was a long term thing. Then I remembered it's ORDA we're dealing with... Fingers crossed

I lucked out by a couple of minutes ... I feel really bad for the people who were stuck on it over Lower Skyward getting blasted by the guns the whole time. ORDA has made a "big deal" about safety the last few years ... how safe is it to load people on a chair lift that you know has issues, crossing your fingers every day that it will all work out.
I heard from a reliable source that there is a problem with the motor. It took 45 minutes to offload it, likely with diesel. Further, from the source, don't expect it to re-open any time soon.
If this is true, just another example of you couldn't suck more if you tried.

I'm sure we'll all really enjoy doing laps from the mid-station lodge to Bear Den next season on the $16.7M white elephant.

Hmm... Too bad there isn't another lift that also tops 4000 feet, serves blue and black terrain, and helps to spread out crowds.

It was definitely running on the backup when the stopped loading this morning. At first I thought, "well they're still blowing snow at the summit." (Impressive amount btw) Thinking they'd shut the guns off of it was a long term thing. Then I remembered it's ORDA we're dealing with... Fingers crossed

If only...Thank God for the Little Whiteface lift. I like that little pod.
Serves the same terrain as the gondola. Can be useful for line avoidance, but doesn't serve any additional terrain. They need both Summit and Lookout and now they have neither.

Personally, I'll hold my disappointment at bay until it has been closed for a bit longer, more than a day anyway. Last year I think Skyward only opened around now and Lookout was certainly not open yet.

It's not that history should be the standard we judge by, I'm all for improvement. Face4Me's point about money spent on the Bear Den lift instead of strengthening existing infrastructure especially resonates with me.

Last edited:
Back