Whiteface Conditions

Mountain Run exceeded all expectations today. It had hero snow this AM. Made my day. The base area is rekt. I don’t know where they will find the snow to fill in all the bare spots after we get more rain tonight, Tuesday and Wednesday. Not sure what we will do for the next few days. Maybe hike, ice skate, enjoy the hot tub, play board games, check out the ski jump…

Anyone ski whiteface today? Why are most of the lifts closed for the remainder of day, conditions?
Going tomorrow!

Not great, but also not terrible today. The trails with active snowmaking are in the best condition as long as you avoid wet guns. Not many people here, with the gondola at times having the only line. Paron's to Victoria was my favorite run.

20230107_122218.jpg

20230107_102904.jpg

Everything to skier's right of Mountain Run is closed and fenced, and will be until after the games. Also, Easy Street was inexplicably closed later despite being open under the guns earlier. This made for really limited terrain, and they need to open more trails badly. It seems Essex and Skyward are the next priorities.

Saw Sno's pics on Sat pm and figured Sunday might be a good day to hit WF with the guns blasting all that new snow.
Cold early but no real wind and full sun. Noticed immediately driving in that there were no guns on. As usual, something broke in the system. It was actually nice to ski without guns blasting but it's too bad that WF missed a nice stretch of cold, dry wind free snowmaking weather.
Conditions were quite good considering the weather we've had to deal with. Not much open but Parons was covered nicely with a refresh as was Victoria. Mountain Run was really nice, spent most of my time on that.
No lines to speak of, a very short wait at the Gondi, ski right on everything wlse. Big sign on the Summit Quad chalkboard, "Icy Conditions", ironic, this is WF of course and Parons was far from Icy.
Later in the day there were several areas, even on Mtn Run where a bunch of loose rocks had surfaced. Approach, from Upper Mac entrance down was especially bad.
Whatever was broken was at least partially fixed by about 2 pm, a few guns were blowing on Lower Valley. Hope they got the rest of the system up too.
Looks like Skyward will be a ways off. Sure was a nice view anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_1283.JPG
    IMG_1283.JPG
    537.3 KB · Views: 69
Skied today, disappointed in everything whiteface right now, conditions report is bull shit! Snowmaking is non existent
I feel like it's a pattern with ORDA. Spend millions on snowmaking upgrades, have a great start to the season despite messy weather, and then just completely drop the ball in January when half the mountain still isn't open.

The trails with active snowmaking are in the best condition as long as you avoid wet guns.
Noticed immediately driving in that there were no guns on. As usual, something broke in the system.
Skied today, disappointed in everything whiteface right now, conditions report is bull shit! Snowmaking is non existent
This is my 20th season as a Whiteface "regular".

Every year we hear about all the "improvements" they've made ... new pump-houses ... miles of new pipes ... new guns ... etc, etc, etc, ... and every year, it's the same thing ...

For whatever reason ... it just doesn't seem to matter how much money they spend, or what they do ... it never makes a difference in the end.

When I got home Sunday after skiing for a couple of hours in the morning, my comment to my wife was:
If you tried to suck, I don't think you could do it as well as they do.

I feel like it's a pattern with ORDA. Spend millions on snowmaking upgrades, have a great start to the season despite messy weather, and then just completely drop the ball in January when half the mountain still isn't open.
I don't watch this as closely as you, maybe you are right.

What I saw at Belleayre on Sunday did not fit this description.

Back