Whiteface Conditions

I don't watch this as closely as you, maybe you are right.

What I saw at Belleayre on Sunday did not fit this description.

I'm mainly referring to Whiteface here. They started out so promising with the summit right from the beginning. It seemed like they had really turned the page and had good snowmaking, after so many of being among the weakest in this category.

Now, they're still only half open and haven't gotten to some major trails yet like Skyward and Wilmington, and have missed windows with perfect temps.

I appreciate everyone's apologies for claiming I was in the wrong for complaining that Wilmington wasn't open in years past. Now you're doing the same thing. At the rate they're going, knows if that or even Skyward will open at all this season.

I appreciate everyone's apologies for claiming I was in the wrong for complaining that Wilmington wasn't open in years past. Now you're doing the same thing. At the rate they're going, knows if that or even Skyward will open at all this season.
This is stupid.

With the weather being what it's been this season, no one is expecting that the Wilmington Trail or even Skyward should be open by now. Snowmaking temps finally returned this past Saturday, and they were making a lot of snow on Parons, Easy Street, Victoria and in a few other places. Prior to that, we had 10 days IN A ROW with above freezing temperatures, and lots of rain.

Rational people don't expect miracles when we've had the kind of weather pattern that we've had so far this season, BUT, when the opportunities do present themselves, we do expect the system to work. The problem now, is that beginning on Sunday, snowmaking stopped, apparently due to a failure of some kind, as usual, and at this point, appears to be somewhat limited based on the reports from others earlier in this thread. This would have made no difference at all in getting your beloved Wilmington Trail open, or Skyward. Again, rational people understand that.

At this point, it would be nice to have Essex & maybe Wilderness open, and better cover on a couple of other trails, so that there might be something left to ski over this next above normal temperatures period.

More like, you think you're allowed to complain about major snowmaking failures, but you don't think I'm allowed to do it.

The resurfacing that was done on Saturday when I was there and now was sorely needed. No disagreement there. But as a result of not making any snow on Sunday or Monday, they're going to fail to have any additional terrain open on MLK Weekend that wasn't open on Christmas. And this is with a snowmaking "upgrade" that they spent millions on and hyped significantly.

Me thinks there’s a lot ancillary tasks needing to be accomplished to successfully operate the WUG at the many venues in the small village of Lake Placid while at the same time there is an ongoing worker shortage.
In other words, Not enough worker bees to go around...and the hive was wetter & warmer than normal.
Dang first world problems...

Last edited:
More like, you think you're allowed to complain about major snowmaking failures, but you don't think I'm allowed to do it.
No ... Not true at all ...

If this had been your post, I would have had absolutely no issue with it.
The resurfacing that was done on Saturday when I was there and now was sorely needed. No disagreement there. But as a result of not making any snow on Sunday or Monday, they're going to fail to have any additional terrain open on MLK Weekend that wasn't open on Christmas. And this is with a snowmaking "upgrade" that they spent millions on and hyped significantly.

THIS ^^^ is what I have issue with.

Whiteface has a phenomenon I call the doldrums when it comes to their trail rollout, that always happens in January. They get to a point where even with good weather, they pretty much cease opening additional good terrain for multiple weeks. It's why I don't go there much in January, nor recommend that others do. February, March, and in some years April are their best months, and December is much better now with the summit opening right from the start. In January however, their terrain offerings have generally been well behind the competition in both quality and quality.

This is not unique to Whiteface. Killington has the same problem. It just occurs in December. They have to dedicate significant resources to opening connector trails and beginner terrain, so their product tends to suffer until around Christmas.

It could just be a case of personal preference. My favorite trails at Whiteface are Hoyt's and Cloudspin, followed by Skyward and Wilmington.

Wow sno keep playing the same drum. What an entitled baby. Many of us thought you’d grow up once you, ya know, grew up, yet you haven’t.

Yes Whiteface got off to a great start. Yes, the last two+ weeks have been warm and rainy and it was an unfortunate big melt off. As you mentioned, Killington has the same problem.

Historically, Skyward is generally not open in the beginning of January. My wife’s birthday is the first week of January and I can only remember once in the last number of years that it was open for her birthday, and the time it did it had just opened that day under guns.

Take a chill pill or find a new hobby, skiing is apparently too stressful for you. If you don’t want to go to Whiteface in January then don’t, I doubt the mountain will miss you.

Back