Whiteface Conditions

After loading every other LWF chair yesterday, they were loading 2 out of every 3 chairs today. Summit was closed by about 10:30 due to "mechanical issues." Friends and I were on Summit for at least 15 minutes. We thought we would be e-vacked. They should have had the Benny Hill theme playing (Yackety Sax).

Needless to say, the line ups were significant.
Don't worry ...
As yet unnamed, it's called Whiteface Lift A in the resolution "to construct and install a high-speed detachable quad chairlift to provide year-round access" from the Bear Den Lodge to the new Legacy Lodge.

"Installation of this lift will require construction and clearing of a new lift line and new electrical service to all three terminals of the lift. Total approximate project cost is $16.5 million."
This will solve all of the problems. :confused:

That will be a much better use of taxpayer dollars than replacing the Little Whiteface chair and/or the Summit Quad with a reliable lift.

Don't worry ...

This will solve all of the problems. :confused:

That will be a much better use of taxpayer dollars than replacing the Little Whiteface chair and/or the Summit Quad with a reliable lift.
Naw just sink ~$7million for the new curling facility in Saranac Lake so the collegge kids can go play curling @ WUG 2023.
Sweeping is funner.

replacing the Little Whiteface chair and/or the Summit Quad with a reliable lift.
I would also like to see them go in this direction.

I am no WF expert, but it seems to me that those chairs serve all the terrain that makes Whiteface so awesome.

I know I asked this before but I forget... what does the new lift give us that we don't have now?

Much more maintenance is the answer. If things are serviced regularly you are not constantly playing wack-a-mole at the worst time

More broadly I was reflecting today on what a competent job the whole crew here at WF has done this year. Great snowmaking plan, no snafus with broken lifts, just generally well done. Very strange. Thankfully the shitty weather this weekend will leave a lot of visitors with a bad taste in their mouth. We can't have this place getting popular!
Boy, you express some good feels for the place and then the sh*t hits the fan. I couldn't agree more about replacing LWF and Summit being a higher priority than the new lift from Bear Den.

I hope things are better when I'm back after the games. I'm off to Japan now!

I would also like to see them go in this direction.

I am no WF expert, but it seems to me that those chairs serve all the terrain that makes Whiteface so awesome.

I know I asked this before but I forget... what does the new lift give us that we don't have now?
My understanding is that the new lift will provide those parking at Bear Den direct access to the Legacy Lodge area and LWF lift. Today if you park there you need to either hike up a bit, take the carpet, or take the Falcon Flyer lift, and then ski down to the Base Lodge. In the long run it's not a bad idea, I like parking at Bear Den (you can often ski to your car) and the hassle of getting down to the Base Lodge and then onto the mountain from there keeps me from doing it more often. I think more importantly it develops a beginners and kid friendly area to the point that they never have to even go to the Base Lodge, a priority I don't share but understand. So not a terrible idea for the some-day list but there's a long list of other things like replacing Summit, LWF, Lookout, installing a reservoir etc.... that I would rather see happen first.

I assume you are going skiing...Niseko?
if so please post a report...this a bucket list trip
Tokyo for 4 days then Niseko for 8. I'll take some pics and write some words but no promises on the quality of either. This will be my third trip out there, I do highly recommend it. The snow is wonderful and the food is amazing. It's just a fun place to be. The one thing it's missing is a lot of consistent steeps, but with all the snow they get, that may not work out well anyway....

Tokyo for 4 days then Niseko for 8. I'll take some pics and write some words but no promises on the quality of either. This will be my third trip out there, I do highly recommend it. The snow is wonderful and the food is amazing. It's just a fun place to be. The one thing it's missing is a lot of consistent steeps, but with all the snow they get, that may not work out well anyway....
perfect...pics of mountains and food...im down for some sushi and yakatori joints

Back