Whiteface Conditions

Mountain froze so A is "optimistic " Summit will open.

Summit open.

Hope it's not an April Fools Joke!
1617147317108.png

I skied there Saturday, and while the skiing was good they were/are in some serious danger of losing everything above the facelift. Hopefully some snow allows for another weekend or two.

the skiing that was good was basically mushy snow. In contrast to gore, there were no moguls to be found. The snow surface was good, I like to think of it as surfing mashed potatoes with skis on. Only the follies was open at the summit, and it was pretty narrow in a few spots, not worth a second trip despite the awesome views. Hard to see how the summit is going to stay open Much longer.

I skied there Saturday, and while the skiing was good they were/are in some serious danger of losing everything above the facelift. Hopefully some snow allows for another weekend or two.

the skiing that was good was basically mushy snow. In contrast to gore, there were no moguls to be found. The snow surface was good, I like to think of it as surfing mashed potatoes with skis on. Only the follies was open at the summit, and it was pretty narrow in a few spots, not worth a second trip despite the awesome views. Hard to see how the summit is going to stay open Much longer.
Yeah I skied Whiteface Thursday when the real bleeding started. No denying it will be tough, but pushing around a good 6-10 to places where it is needed could be a big help. Ultimately the weekend of the 10th-11th is dependent on what happens next week, but it's definitely north of a snowball's chance down under.

They will smear it around for the next couple of weekends but consistently good spring skiing is gone. We were there last Saturday. Summit was shot. Wilderness had some good runs if you could get there. Top of Mt. Run was rough. Parkway to the mid of Mt. Run was a better option.

If you are the type that likes to ski until you are in the mud there are a few weeks left. If not the skis should go back into the shed / garage until next year. Overall it was a good year. Great February skiing and a disappointing March. All good considering six months ago nobody knew what to expect.

They will smear it around for the next couple of weekends but consistently good spring skiing is gone. We were there last Saturday. Summit was shot. Wilderness had some good runs if you could get there. Top of Mt. Run was rough. Parkway to the mid of Mt. Run was a better option.

If you are the type that likes to ski until you are in the mud there are a few weeks left. If not the skis should go back into the shed / garage until next year. Overall it was a good year. Great February skiing and a disappointing March. All good considering six months ago nobody knew what to expect.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, for sure!

I’m thinking this Saturday could be good if this storm pans out...temps warm up to 40s and sun...seriously thinking about going for one last day of the season

About 3” on top of little whiteface this morning, maybe 4”
at the summit by the time chair 6 finally started running at 11.

It was fun but approach and all the trails off it were closed, a few inches on top of refrozen. We tried Northway as a test and it was not so great. From LW it was just Essex and Excelsior. Essex was pretty fun though. Variable conditions on the way down.

Yesterday and Tuesday Mtn run, wilderness, approach and northway were all skiing good.

It’s a bummer the blowtorch came through last week. Skyward is closed, top 50’ is grass but below it looks good. There are still some fun turns to be had but it’s thin in places for sure.

Yeah, I concur. Today wasn't anything crazy...hopefully they will be able to work out Skyward and at least allow access from the Dead Wood. There's still good stuff in there if you can get past the top, and thankfully Victoria remains continuous. We still have a little gas in the tank...hope it lasts/can be harvested, even if inevitably thinning.

Back