What is your dream?

45 minute commute would bum me out. that is a lot of time you are never getting back
Yes I lose time. But you can use it well (not ideal) depending on mode of transport. I read a lot and do some work.

I like having some real distance between work and play. I don't think 45 minutes would be enough for me to decompress from city mentality to a more country state of mind.

I could use a driver. You decompress (?) I sleep!?

45 minute commute would bum me out. that is a lot of time you are never getting back
What else to ya have to do?
Sleep? Ehh it’s over rated.
The commute has allowed me to develop a level of anger that most won’t experience.
My mechanic has “anger is a gift” tattooed on his forearm.
It is a gift.

Hardest part of my job was the white knuckled driving 690 in lake effected whiteouts thru The Cuse for 35 years.
With good roads it was ~25 min.
With heavy wet snowy roads it was a long white shitshow.
When ya got on site, the sidewalks were plastered with salt. It eats shoes.

I know I contributed to the drift, but a humble request to keep this awesome thread on track . . . . : )

I know I contributed to the drift, but a humble request to keep this awesome thread on track . . . . : )
The new pup wakes himself up by wagging his tail when he’s dreaming.
Fact.
"You can learn a lot just by watching". Yogi Berra.

Last edited:
It is like people moving out of NYC to NJ always wanting a 45 min commute and good schools plus a house on a 1/2 acre for $350k.:ROFLMAO:
Housing in NJ is outta control. I can't tell you how many people come into the store and their mobile numbers have NYC area codes. When you paid $1 million for a Brooklyn apartment and you see a house for sale in the burbs for $1.25 million, with a yard for the kids, and a modicum of privacy, it's over.

For many years, I had a 45 minute commute one way. For me, returning from one suburb to another suburb and immediately having to cook dinner didn't decompress.

Housing in NJ is outta control. I can't tell you how many people come into the store and their mobile numbers have NYC area codes. When you paid $1 million for a Brooklyn apartment and you see a house for sale in the burbs for $1.25 million, with a yard for the kids, and a modicum of privacy, it's over.

For many years, I had a 45 minute commute one way. For me, returning from one suburb to another suburb and immediately having to cook dinner didn't decompress.
Darn it I am in, my hypocrisy be darned. Good post.

On housing - where the heck can you even pay 1m in Brooklyn for an apartment? Maybe in 2009 . . . .

One thing I like about my commute - I walk a minimum of 2 minutes (did it less than that when I forgot something) max 5 to my light rail; relatively short train ride of about 35 min where I can do a number of things; and then either walk to work or take a subway. Subway for bad weather or when I am working out more and too sore to walk a bit. Yes people can be cranky in Penn or Grand Central but you have some control over what you do in that time.

Best to all. I gotta go walk to my train : )

Back