What is your dream?

Housing in NJ is outta control. I can't tell you how many people come into the store and their mobile numbers have NYC area codes. When you paid $1 million for a Brooklyn apartment and you see a house for sale in the burbs for $1.25 million, with a yard for the kids, and a modicum of privacy, it's over.
Just insane

Darn it I am in, my hypocrisy be darned. Good post.

On housing - where the heck can you even pay 1m in Brooklyn for an apartment? Maybe in 2009 . . . .

One thing I like about my commute - I walk a minimum of 2 minutes (did it less than that when I forgot something) max 5 to my light rail; relatively short train ride of about 35 min where I can do a number of things; and then either walk to work or take a subway. Subway for bad weather or when I am working out more and too sore to walk a bit. Yes people can be cranky in Penn or Grand Central but you have some control over what you do in that time.

Best to all. I gotta go walk to my train : )
@DomB I didn't want to get carried away with numbers.

I like having some real distance between work and play. I don't think 45 minutes would be enough for me to decompress from city mentality to a more country state of mind.
The "commute" for me is not daily. We have an apartment in NYC where I work. I walk to work. My decompression occurs when I make the four hour drive to our house in Wilmington. There is no decompression while we're in the city. Fortunately my wife is WFH and I only have to be physically in the city 3-4 days a week and only for 8 months a year. I don't want to give the impression that I hate the city, I don't. It's just that it's mostly a work frame of mind when I'm here.

To get back on track, my dream is to keep our home base in Wilmington, have a small apartment in a city, because we do actually like us some city life, and to have a small place somewhere near a big mountain with big mountain skiing that's not in the US (read: someplace we can afford).

45 minutes barely gets you across the bridge most of the time

Thats better than I expected. I bet it’s a small house though
It depends on the town. The suburban 45 min commute into the city is mostly a fantasy if you use mass transit. On the front end you need to get to the train station (or bus stop) from your house. That could be 10 minutes. Once you get into NYC, it used to take me 10 minutes or more from when the train stopped in Penn Station to get up to the street. Buses can have the same issues with the added attraction of traffic. Then you have to get to your office.

There might be a few suburban towns where the time works, but the prices do not.

The fixation on working in NY is the problem. Yes you can make more money working in the city. If I had worked in the city, all these years, I'd surely be retired right now. Maybe dead too.

The key is to commute to some destination that is not NYC. Doing what everyone else does it often has a cost.

As the great philosopher Wayne from Letterkenny states:

"If ya do what ya love you’ll never work a day in yer life... Back to choring."

Back