Uphill Battle

No. IF you subscribe to market theory, any number of pricing strategies are available. IT's entirely reasonable to set the price high for a service you don't really want to offer, or keep wait times short. ORDA seems to be right where most other eastern ski areas are on lift ticlkets, but I have more money than time (and I get senior pricing) so I'd be happy if they priced young families off the mountain, because that's the kind of selfish jerk I am. OTOH they are restricitng uphill and making it unaffordable where it is available. That might be OK for a private operator, but ORDA is a public agency tasked with providing recreational opportunities. Their uphill policies are not reasonable.

mm

You seem to contradict yourself here. It's fine if ORDA prices one group off the hill but not the other?

These discussions remind me that when Powdr took over Killington, they did lots of things, like limiting lift service to on hill properties, closing in April, high prices on seaon passes and childrens' programs, that pissed off the locals. After a lot of angry resonse, those things were reversed. That's why I don't stop criticizing ORDA. I'm optimistic enough to believe they might learn something.

mm

You seem to contradict yourself here. It's fine if ORDA prices one group off the hill but not the other?
It's fine if they price services in a way that provides the best experience. They are doing that with lift passes, (maybe they are even on the low side), but they are using pricing to eliminate uphill travel. ORDA has had too many fuck ups over the years for me to give them the benefit of the doubt on anything related to skiing.

mm

Someone should start up a mountain without chair lifts etc and create place for uphill travel skiers rather then trying to piggyback off a place that is designed for chair lifts, who cares about someone laughing on the other side of the pond

Prospect, Dutch Hill, Hogback, the Thunderbolt and countless other defunct ski areas that will go unmentioned are definitely fun places to ski. When there is snow there is nothing like it. The rest of the time it’s a no go. I’m all about ephemeral beauty but the ski seasons are very short and sometimes non existent if you only rely on natural snow.

Back