Uphill Battle

It’s no wonder the Europeans laugh at us.
I laugh at them too.

Pricing it out of reach is not reasonable.

Milo you could say the same about price of a Whiteface lift ticket. Where's the outrage on that? The only difference is that it's been that way for so long we are used to it.

IMO lift tickets are expensive in large part because of snowmaking.

The Bell and Gore uphill prohibition, and the Whiteface price, is just more evidence that ORDA doesn't care about what the skiing public wants.

mm

You seem very down on ORDA, as are many others. Not a dig or anything rather an observation. That said, why support them by purchasing a pass and skiing at their areas?

Lift tickets are expensive everywhere. ORDA prices don't seem high to me, and over the years ORDA has gotten a lot of political push back from the owners of Hunter, Windham and West Mountain. I might be happier with higher prices to keep the crowds down.

ORDA uphill prices and policies are intended to prevent uphill. That's not reasonable for a public agancy or even a business for that matter.

mm

You seem very down on ORDA, as are many others. Not a dig or anything rather an observation. That said, why support them by purchasing a pass and skiing at their areas?
I've been skiing Gore for 50 years, and I have friends there. My low opinion of ORDA is relatively recent. In the past their mistakes were mostly amusing, or at the worst inconvenient. They have acheived a whole new level of fuck up this year, and it's irreversible.

mm

Lift tickets are expensive everywhere. ORDA prices don't seem high to me, and over the years ORDA has gotten a lot of political push back from the owners of Hunter, Windham and West Mountain. I might be happier with higher prices to keep the crowds down.
You are proving my point.

So day tickets are too cheap and uphill passes are too expensive. Sound like you disagree with their pricing. You ok if they raise the price of season pass too?

You are proving my point.

So day tickets are too cheap and uphill passes are too expensive. Sound like you disagree with their pricing. You ok if they raise the price of season pass too?
No. IF you subscribe to market theory, any number of pricing strategies are available. IT's entirely reasonable to set the price high for a service you don't really want to offer, or keep wait times short. ORDA seems to be right where most other eastern ski areas are on lift tickets, but I have more money than time (and I get senior pricing) so I'd be happy if they priced young families off the mountain, because that's the kind of selfish jerk I am. OTOH they are restricting uphill and making it unaffordable where it is available. That might be OK for a private operator, but ORDA is a public agency tasked with providing recreational opportunities. Their uphill policies are not reasonable.

mm

Back