Uphill Battle

Excellent point. It’s funny but I’ve found that the hills with lots of lodging and family oriented stuff have the best uphill policies. I think it’s easier for places with non skiers messing around on snowshoes or just hiking in the snow to make room for skinning. Windham is another one that is very accommodating.

I give Stratton credit for having a ton of tree areas between trails.

One of the few places I'm totally OCD about being there at 7:45am though. The main base area is brutal.

Always park at Sun Bowl.
They never let the regular people on until 8:30am sharp or even 8:31am. Not 8:28am or 8:29am. It is so absurd. You can add early access to your season pass.

They never let the regular people on until 8:30am sharp or even 8:31am. Not 8:28am or 8:29am. It is so absurd. You can add early access to your season pass.
If it was my home mountain I'd probably do this. At least it's a season cost. How much?

If it was my home mountain I'd probably do this. At least it's a season cost. How much?
Stratton's First Tracks is not worth buying. It allows you on the mountain at 7:45am only on weekends/holidays. Most of the time it is just groomed out cord. It is included in the Stratton only $1249 Summit pass. You can add it to a full Ikon only for $399. I only get the base Ikon because I never go near Stratton on holidays. If it is a decent snow on a weekend we head to Magic.

I have been first up (8:30) at Stratton mid-week multiple times after an overnight 5"-8" snowfall, and most of the trails are tracked out. I think they let anybody with an employee pass and all 130 Stratton Mountain School students plus teachers and coaches on the mountain before they let the general public on the lifts.

"Enjoy first tracks with exclusive early lift access at 7:45am during select weekends and holidays. First Tracks is included in the Summit Pass. Ikon Pass holders have the option to add First Tracks for $399. *Share First Tracks with friends as add-on to your pass for $429* per person."

Stratton's First Tracks is not worth buying...

I have been first up (8:30) at Stratton mid-week multiple times after an overnight 5"-8" snowfall, and most of the trails are tracked out. I think they let anybody with an employee pass and all 130 Stratton Mountain School students plus teachers and coaches on the mountain before they let the general public on the lifts.
Doesn’t sound like a lot of first tracks to me either.

When at Stratton I prefer staying on the pond side on the Catamount Trail

We ask that you help spread the word on our uphill policy and proper etiquette and we are hopeful we can open it back up in the near future.

If "Ski Free or Die" is your mantra, this is not your playground.

Golfing etiquette is learned.
Skiing etiquette, whatever that may be, is too.
Snowboarding etiquette exists someplaces as well.

Last edited:
Back