Uphill Battle

This isn’t in a New York uphill battle but relatively nearby.
Lucky they’re alive on this uphill excursion at Mt Washington.
My favorite part: "The incident was reported to snow rangers shortly after noon. Both patients were reportedly conscious, though one potentially had an altered level of consciousness." Yeah, sure, a twenty year old in Tuckerman's in the middle of winter? Good bet.

My favorite part: “...Both patients were reportedly conscious, though one potentially had an altered level of consciousness."
Benny, Have ya considered they might have had a near death experience and/or saw God? Avi folks also said they bounced off some boulders on the way down. Most likely concussed to boot.

25+ years ago, in late Fall after Alpine climbing the Pinnacle Route in Huntington Ravine with a friend, I almost took a big one. Down climbing the hiking trail, my pack caught me off center and I windmilled to catch my balance. Not much of a big deal compared to the exposure we had been exposed all day but it would have been 30 ft before my first bounce. Super spooked we then booked it out in the dark to find another individual slid off the trail with a broken leg waiting for rescue. After a sleeping pad splint and a lot of waiting we shared a litter carry with rescue through the night back to Pinkham Notch. I’ve been back since a bunch but not without my eyes wide open and my butt cheeks tight!

It looks like a lot of access. I like how they put markers on the uphill routes. The downhill signage is on top of the run on the wrong side of the tree. Not much good when you are starting at the bottom. The ski runs always look a lot different on the up. I look forward to checking it out, maybe burn one at Cooper’s cabin

They've always had a pretty good uphill policy. It used to be $25. And, Pico, being closed mid-week is the perfect place. I know a bunch of locals skin in the mornings before work.

Anybody know if Windham rents AT gear? I know they do guided AT intro tours but my friend just needs gear ...haven’t found that info on their website ...thanks

Back