Uphill Battle

Hickory had the snowmaking approvals but it is the lack of low angle terrain that is the holdup. If they could buy the adjacent camp they could have that all the way to the road with a new base area. But apparently they aren’t selling... yet.

No, it’s also the lack of golf courses, if you want to make NC and Gore into the likes of Stowe, Stratton, Sugarbush, Killington, etc., etc.
The Sagamore Golf Club is a 1928 Donald Ross designed 18 hole course in Bolton Landing. There are a few other 9 hole courses in the area.
Agree to disagree, but NC doesn’t have much to make it attractive to my family outside of ski season. It also doesn’t have the lodging to attract my family there during the ski season. Coincidence?

Also, you keep talking slope side housing units, people who want to buy. While I’m sure Gore/NC could support a few dozen such units, like a Magic, that’s not the kind of development I’m talking about. There are a lot more people out there looking to rent hotel rooms and hit a spa than there are people looking to buy mountain condos, I suspect.

You seem to believe NC is equipped to compete with other major mountain towns. If you build it they will come? If that’s the case, and lack of lakes or golf courses or anything else isn’t a factor.....tell me why it is you think nobody has built it yet.
At least do a little research into what is planned at Ski Bowl Village. Here is some info:
"At completion, Ski Bowl Village is planned to include 136 Townhouses, 18 Single Family Homes, five hotels, a nine-hole par three executive golf course, restaurants and retail space." There are also planned ski trails to the lookers left of the Hudson Triple that are part of this tract of land that ORDA will operate.

I do not know the reasons (lack of money/no demand/issues with North Creek/issues with ORDA/engineering problems) this project has not moved beyond a few townhouses. The plans include hotel/retail/F&B right next to the Hudson Triple in the Ski Bowl where skiers would have easy access. Maybe they should have started with this location first to create some demand. The approval came in the middle of the 2008 Great Recession and it took years for people to recover. The lack of marketing Gore to the NYC metro area has contributed.

This project's 12+ year delay (and still going) is lost financial opportunity for the area. Almost every major ski area in the Eastern US and Canada has slopeside lodging. Clearly there is demand (rental/ownership) for slopeside housing or it would not exist. It is unfortunate that this has not happened at Gore.

Absent an eccentric billionaire throwing money at the project, somebody has to convince a bank it’s a good risk, right? Seems like the most likely answer is that the banks decided it’s a long shot.

The Sagamore Golf Club is a 1928 Donald Ross designed 18 hole course in Bolton Landing.
You just proved my point! The mountain towns and resorts that thrive have lakes and golf courses right outside your door....not 30 minutes away.

At least do a little research into what is planned at Ski Bowl Village.

Is, or was? I’m aware of what someone wanted to do, but it takes a lot to get from concept on paper, to actual plans and approvals, to execution.

It is unfortunate that this has not happened at Gore.

Yes, it is unfortunate, at least for those who long for development in NC. However, as Brownski pointed out, maybe perhaps for some of the reasons we are debating (no lake in town, no golf course in town, etc.), the plans you regret not coming to fruition may just never have been viable from a financial perspective.

I’m not debating the desire and market for slopeside lodging, but extensive development at some mountains just isn’t viable. I agree that NC can be much like Magic (some condo development for those who want to buy), but it will never be like Stowe or Sugarbush, I don’t think.

You don’t accept my reasoning, which is your prerogative, and I suppose time will tell whether NC will see the growth you and I would like to see.

Curious how often the ski bowl area and burnt ridge, for that matter, are open? I usually ski gore 4 or 5 times a year and have never seen the ski bowl area open and burnt ridge only a handful of times. Is it a weekend only thing?

The Sagamore Golf Club is a 1928 Donald Ross designed 18 hole course in Bolton Landing. There are a few other 9 hole courses in the area.

At least do a little research into what is planned at Ski Bowl Village. Here is some info:
"At completion, Ski Bowl Village is planned to include 136 Townhouses, 18 Single Family Homes, five hotels, a nine-hole par three executive golf course, restaurants and retail space." There are also planned ski trails to the lookers left of the Hudson Triple that are part of this tract of land that ORDA will operate.

I do not know the reasons (lack of money/no demand/issues with North Creek/issues with ORDA/engineering problems) this project has not moved beyond a few townhouses. The plans include hotel/retail/F&B right next to the Hudson Triple in the Ski Bowl where skiers would have easy access. Maybe they should have started with this location first to create some demand. The approval came in the middle of the 2008 Great Recession and it took years for people to recover. The lack of marketing Gore to the NYC metro area has contributed.

This project's 12+ year delay (and still going) is lost financial opportunity for the area. Almost every major ski area in the Eastern US and Canada has slopeside lodging. Clearly there is demand (rental/ownership) for slopeside housing or it would not exist. It is unfortunate that this has not happened at Gore.
I'll bet that most Gore skiers would consider it quite fortunate even half of that isn't there. Five hotels? Wtf? Why? Oh, I know, it's a game, ask for a lot, get just enough, but, still. Isn't Saturday pretty much at capacity for that mountain? You want more skiers? Why?

Did I mention it in this thread? You can buy an older condo near Killington well below 200 grand. Renovated. That's the demand over there, next to a premier hill in Vermont, with very good snow (if it ever snows), long season, and, yes, golf. Big mtb scene, too. I haven't seen much appreciation in RE over there for years. Nothing like prices in the west. The same unit in Summit county that sells for about a half million would sell for maybe 150,000 around Killington. Same age, still a drive to the mountain. That's where the demand is. Rockies. Cheap flights, real snow, rentable. Sorry. The northeast may benefit from this Covid thing right now, a little, but, in a few years, back to slow fade. It just has to snow more, and that ain't happening.

A full buildout would most likely only benefit the builder who probably skis at the Yellowstone Club not NC

Back