Uphill Battle

Has anyone knowledge of black and deer flies around North Creek?

It's the mountains. Bug season is from ~May - ~Aug. It's not too bad in town. Don't know if they spray. Up at our place it's chow city.

It's the mountains. Bug season is from ~May - ~Aug. It's not too bad in town. Don't know if they spray. Up at our place it's chow city.

Yep, you need to expect it. Locals don't even seem bothered by them, or at least the ones I know aren't. I'd play golf with my grandfather and he'd never even swat at one. Me??? They drove me f-n crazy!

It’s a shame that the ski area doesn’t drop down into town. I think there’s around 1800 verts directly out of Pine Hill and well over 2k if you used a peak viewers left.
Where’s the shuttle bus?

Yep, you need to expect it. Locals don't even seem bothered by them, or at least the ones I know aren't. I'd play golf with my grandfather and he'd never even swat at one. Me??? They drove me f-n crazy!
I went to Stratton one very late May weekday 2-3 day trip to play golf with the ex, because she loved golf and it was her birthday. It was below thirty when we woke up, but, the forecast was the 70s by afternoon, so, I wore shorts for a 10am tee time. I was a new golfer, and never really recreated in the mountains in late Spring before. I'm, of course, the only person walking around in shorts. Holy jeez, I was bleeding before the back nine. Ferocious, hungry little suckers.

It’s a shame that the ski area doesn’t drop down into town. I think there’s around 1800 verts directly out of Pine Hill and well over 2k if you used a peak viewers left.

There could also be almost the same or possibly more vertical going off the old Highmount side into Fleischmanns.

God, I miss that guy.

He's right, some of the country clubs in Westchester sit on the most valuable RE in the world.

That's why some cost 1/4 of a million dollars to join. Mind you, this is not a bond that you get back when you leave. This is an Admission fee. And then there are yearly dues of probably around 50k (or more) plus a minimum amount you need to spend dining. I don't know who would ever want to even hang out at a place like that, let alone have them steal my money. Country Clubs are just so not me.

That's why some cost 1/4 of a million dollars to join. Mind you, this is not a bond that you get back when you leave. This is an Admission fee. And then there are yearly dues of probably around 50k (or more) plus a minimum amount you need to spend dining. I don't know who would ever want to even hang out at a place like that, let alone have them steal my money. Country Clubs are just so not me.
A lot of them were established when land was much cheaper, and they operate as non profits, so land costs are negated. Still, I agree with you. Country Clubs are an enormous money suck for the upper middle class, with pretty much zero payback for that "investment".

Someone should start up a mountain without chair lifts etc and create place for uphill travel skiers rather then trying to piggyback off a place that is designed for chair lifts
I've always hoped Hickory could be this, but alas snowmaking is now a requirement for skiing in the NE, and as many have pointed out, cheapskate skinners won't want to pay for that.

Back