Uphill Battle

Quite some drift.

One thing about "the lake" is that 13th Lake is spectacular. "But" it's wilderness. That keeps the water pristine and the lake is one of the most beautiful in NY. But it only drives commerce and visitation at a low level. Personally I'll take 13th all day long and be 100% fine with no nightlife. It's what I like. But it will never be a commerce engine.

Agree, 13th Lake is spectacular, been there many times. It's provided some of the best trout fishing I've even done.

Sounds like North Creek is my kind of place.

So far I've day tripped all of my 5 days at Gore this season. At 2:45 each way it's inside my day trip window but just barely. I think I'll make a 2 day trip next time up after MLK and spend a night in North Creek.

Exactly. Why would someone want to stay in NC and drive half an hour (give or take) to access a lake.....when they can just stay by one of the lakes?? Sure, if NC was a hopping spot otherwise MAYBE people would be tempted....but it’s not. Just stay in LP, where there is plentiful lodging right on several lakes....
Because, in the winter (unlike LP), you could be slopeside at a huge ski area and also be very close to Main St in North Creek.

Because, in the winter (unlike LP), you could be slopeside at a huge ski area and also be very close to Main St in North Creek.
JTG and I were talking about the non-winter months.

Look, I could spend a week at 2nd pond bass fishing and fight off flies. I'll be going back into Bog Meadow this coming deer season for a week staying at a very old and very secret hunting camp. I love that shit, my wife ain't having any of it.....lol
That's why NC won't work for us to hang out at for vacation.

Yeah, I get that, in winter. Like I said, if better lodging options existed in NC I would actually plan a family ski vacation there. But better lodging doesn’t exist, and that’s where the lake, or lack thereof, may come into play. Me thinks you are missing the main point. While some might skate, XC, or snowshoe on a lake in the winter....the lack of lake access is more of an issue in the spring/summer/fall. While I might want to stay there in the winter if better lodging existed, not enough people will want to stay there in the non-winter. Why would they when they can have easy lake access at better locations? The only way any buildup in NC is going to work is if they are year round properties, and NC doesn’t seem to have the goods to attract enough summer visitors away from other locations. If it did someone surely would have done it by now.

Last edited:
I think wilderness areas are possibly the best long term economic engines. As long as private property abuts ski areas fighting its development will always be an uphill battle. A house here and there is one thing but a full blowout is another. If I was a concerned local I would demand performance bonds to insure against construction failures

Yeah, I get that, in winter. Like I said, if better lodging options existed in NC I would actually plan a family ski vacation there. But better lodging doesn’t exist, and that’s where the lake, or lack thereof, may come into play. Me thinks you are missing the main point. While some might skate, XC, or snowshoe on a lake in the winter....the lack of lake access is more of an issue in the spring/summer/fall. While I might want to stay there in the winter if better lodging existed, not enough people will want to stay there in the non-winter. Why would they when they can have easy lake access at better locations? The only way any buildup in NC is going to work is if they are year round properties, and NC doesn’t seem to have the goods to attract enough summer visitors away from other locations. If it did someone surely would have done it by now.
Here are some ski areas with slopeside housing and no lake nearby:
Holiday Valley, Seven Springs, Jiminy Peak, Stratton, Magic, Bromley, Okemo, Killington, Sugarbush, Stowe, Smuggs, Burke, Jay, Waterville Valley, Loon, Bretton Woods, Attitash, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf. It is not the lack of a lake.

Skiers enjoy slopeside lodging. I am not saying Gore needs thousands of slopeside units, but a couple of hundred units would certainly bump visits to Gore and stabilize businesses in North Creek. People who buy slopeside units do use them year around. This development was a huge fear for the ORDA Board members from Lake Placid. Somehow, 12 years after approval, their fears have not been realized. Gore continues to be an expensive, underutilized NYS asset that is not fulfilling its obligation to be an economic engine for the North Creek area.

I think this falls into the same category as the golf resort at Belle. Even with the approvals and permits in place, they still need to convince somebody to pay for it.

Back