Total Solar Eclipse coming to NY: April 8, 2024

I'm fine with not knowing.

The thought of spending hours in traffic, or flying, or whatever, just for a few minutes of oooohs and ahhhhhhs is fine with me.
Gotta care to go
Ya go out into the woods a lot Camp.
In the woods ya can observe a lot just by watching.

When I worked I got paid for making observations.
Now it's fun watching the dogs make observations. They don’t stop till it’s nappin time.

Gotta care to go
1712759796298.jpeg

I'm fine with not knowing.

The thought of spending hours in traffic, or flying, or whatever, just for a few minutes of oooohs and ahhhhhhs is fine with me.
Like you; I hate crowds. I planned to avoid them. Had a great weekend. Drove up Saturday. No traffic. Hung with my buddy and his wife Saturday night. Went to dinner and a concert in Saratoga Springs Sunday night. Picked a spot to watch the eclipse that avoided getting on the Northway or major roads. Turned out to be a great spot to watch the eclipse and little traffic afterwards. Drove home Tuesday without any major traffic problems just two short slowdowns.
Several people I know who were iffy about seeing the eclipse where really happy they did after seeing it.

Sure I am. Don't care about an eclipse --- not even a little bit
I get what Tony is saying. How can you poo-poo something as “not worth it” if you have no actual idea of what it is you are poo-pooing?

I get what Camp is saying, too. Why invest all the time and resources for three minutes of your life, no matter how cool or spectacular?

I will say though, while it wasn’t a life changing revelation, the moments entering and exiting totality were an incredibly unique experience, with a somewhat surreal three minutes in between, and something to be seen that most people will have very few chances to ever see. How often do you have the chance to do something most other people will never do?

That said, while it was worth it to me to overpay for a hotel for one night and spend an extra three and a half hours of driving to be able to ski 4 days following two feet of powder, including The Slides, and to get a first ever tour up the Memorial Highway, including skiing the Highway slide, and to experience what is one of the most unique experiences most people will ever have, and do so from 4,600 feet up in the mountains….such things may not be for everyone, and my take might have been different if all I did was drive up Sunday, overpay for a hotel, and sit in traffic for three and a half hours, JUST for the eclipse.

Back