Total Solar Eclipse coming to NY: April 8, 2024

Cross Lake
A great aunt of mine used to have a cabin there. Even though it was only 20 minutes from our house, I don't think I've been to Cross Lake in 50 years.

That's a great creepy pic! Looks like Dr. E. Nick Witty's humble mansion might be close by!

Last edited:
A great aunt of mine used to have a cabin there. Even though it was only 20 minutes from our house, I don't think I've been to Cross Lake in 50 years.
It’s a lot cleaner than it used to be. But was pretty pristine before the Erie Canal came thru. A while ago, when I was fishing in the northern most bay, saw a bald eagle swoop, splash, and take off with a nice fish in it’s talons. Was within a hundred yards. There’s ospreys too.

Ya can get to the Atlantic ocean, via Oswego/St Lawrence or Mohawk/Hudson from it too. Just gotta pick which canal at Three Rivers. Big boats come thru coming and going.

TonyC is definitely right. If you're not in totality you don't know what you're missing.
I had planned to see the eclipse since last year. Saw one on TV when I was a kid and always wanted to witness one. Drove to Long Lake from Schroon Lake. Got a great parking spot and a great spot on the lake to watch it. Some wispy clouds but could see the whole thing from beginning to end. Traffic wasn't bad getting back to Schroon lake on 28N. A little slow by where they were having an event in Newcomb and at Rt.9 in Pottersville. Traffic was a steady stream on Rt.9 south through Schroon Lake up to past 9:30pm from people jumping off the Northway to avoid the traffic. Drove back yesterday. Traffic was heavier than normal but no major backups.
That's Venus at 5 o'clock.
Venus at 5 oclock.jpg

Back