Total Solar Eclipse coming to NY: April 8, 2024

I see your point but at least Gore is nearer the path.
1711936865742.gif
1711936871088.gif
1711936873322.gif

Nearer REALLY doesn't count!!!

I guess I have to keep repeating this explanation:
----- Original Message -----
To: SEML
Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2012 8:23 AM
Subject: [SEML] Eclipse ratios.

Since the sun is about 400,000 times brighter than the full moon (about 14 magnitudes), a 99% eclipse (so termed) is about 4,000 times too bright compared with totality, which is about the brightness of the full moon. So a "99% eclipse" is really only 100/400,000 = 1/4,000 = 1/40% of totality = 0.025%.

So if someone claims 99% coverage, we can translate to less then a tenth of a percent of the way to totality. 99.9% coverage is two tenths of a percent of the way to totality.
And Harvey staying at his place and seeing a few seconds of solar corona will kick himself for not being willing to drive a trivial distance to Indian Lake where it would be a couple of minutes.

Forbes online seems to understand the situation and is warning people from being suckered into "just outside the path" places like Gore.

Tony have you ever seen the kind of traffic jams and/or local shortages that they’re warning about? Niagara has pre declared a state of emergency. There are no hotel rooms available in Plattsburgh. You ever see any chaos along the way?

Here's an example of traffic in an area not known for massive traffic jams . . . in TN in 2017.

August 2017
"
A regional transportation spokesman said officials were preparing for eclipse traffic as they would for the Bonnarroo music festival or a Bristol NASCAR race or a Boomsday celebration.

Maybe they should have considered a tsunami of traffic combining all three of those heavily attended events.

At one point, a 34-mile-long line of vehicles clogged Interstate 75 North between Niota in McMinn County and Interstate 40 East in Farragut.

State roads in Monroe, Sevier, Knox, Blount, Roane and Anderson counties all recorded heavy congestion related to the eclipse. Toss in the occasional traffic crash, like the one that closed Edgemoor Road for 40 minutes in Oak Ridge, or the one on I-40 East near Campbell Station Road, and traffic went from heavy to impossible.
. . .
Nagi attributed the I-75 North traffic snarl to "lots of Knoxville area folks apparently made the trip to Sweetwater for the eclipse as that area had totality while Knoxville was partial."

"Sweetwater an easy drive," he said. "Maybe that's part of it."

. . ."

I'm going to gamble a stamp.

1000005159.jpg

Tony have you ever seen the kind of traffic jams and/or local shortages that they’re warning about?
Outside Magazine writer Gordy Megroz wrote an article about the 2017 eclipse from the perspective of Jackson locals, with Liz and me being the featured visiting veteran eclipse chasers.

August in Jackson Hole is peak tourist season anyway, so there were predictions of gas shortages, cleaned out grocery stores and crashes of internet and cell service, none of which occurred. Traffic issues are real but predictable in the immediate hours after totality between the zone and major population bases. The ones I know about are between Wyoming and Denver, Idaho and Salt Lake, and Oregon and California. If you can spend the night just a little way out of the totality zone and go home the next morning you'll avoid the aggravation. If you try to drive back to NYC or Boston metro right after totality that will probably take a long time.

Harvey has it easy. He can spend the nights of April 7 and 8 at his cabin and drive less than an hour to max totality. That's assuming the preliminary weather forecast holds up.

We stayed 3 nights before the eclipse in Jackson and the night after. The drive into Yellowstone the next day was a little slow but not terrible. Most of my other eclipses have been in exotic locales with organized groups so not comparable. The one that is comparable was my first in 1999. We had a normal flow drive in the morning from Budapest to Siofok on Lake Balaton, arriving about 3 hours before totality. Lake Balaton was absolutely packed with tourists, mostly Germans. Leaving the eclipse the first hour drive out was slow, but once on an autoroute to our next stop in Vienna fairly routine.

Last edited:
Last edited:
And Harvey staying at his place and seeing a few seconds of solar corona will kick himself for not being willing to drive a trivial distance to Indian Lake where it would be a couple of minutes.
If one goes to:
Indian Lake one gets 1 min 52 sec max totality.
The little lake near him gets 1 min 4 sec max totality.

We get ~2 min totality.
Just hope I ain’t gonna be telling a thick cloud to get outta the way.

Back