To Heat, or Not to Heat, That is the Question

Ours can be programmed to run at any temp, the question is how cold outside will it work. Like I said, it's "temporary" until the part comes for the furnace. If it gets cold, we'll turn on the fireplace and wear a sweater.
Maybe the part will come. It's an "igniter" and the service guy got the furnace to fire by banging on it with wrench, so maybe that will be part of the solution. :geek:

Happy Holidays Harv

Screw that. I opt for comfort ?.I use my gas fireplace that warms the downstairs , the furnace is set for hold 63 until roughly mid Oct ,then I switch on the furnace and set the full program.

It's 69 until 5 then 70 till bedtime then 64 till morning .

In any serious arctic cold snap at well below zero the settings all bump up a degree

The house is very tight was fully re insulated 4 years ago and installed new two stage Lennox HE furnace and holds well inspite of 44 windows above grade

Last edited:
255445758_4666451573377371_8520811947399287561_n.jpg

My Father-in law was an HVAC supervisor at a large hospital ,his biggest challenge was keeping the business office ladies happy probably 50 + women in a large office . It was a constant battle between 20 somethings and post menapausels . One of his guys had an idea , He disconnected the thermostat but left it there and installed one above the ceiling . Practically no complaints , ? Placebo effect

Kinda working now yes, although at 40f outside you'll get over 100f+ out of the vents at 28f you'll get 85f maybe so the air will feel cool and it will run all the time depending on how it was sized . Not sure what system they put in but a Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 thermostat with an outdoor sensor can be programmed to turn on the furnace on below 40f. In stock lots of places.

Our is programmed from the thermostat. What is a good accepted minimum setting for the heat pump? Looks like the valve replacement is here.

Our is programmed from the thermostat. What is a good accepted minimum setting for the heat pump? Looks like the valve replacement is here
Depends on how much your paying for electricity vs gas ?
In my area Natural gas is cheap vs electricity. It doesn’t pay to run a heat pump if you have natural gas. If you’re using propane 40f seems about right.

One downside to shutting off the heat pump below 40 is it can get a snow/ice buildup and when it turns back on the fan blade can be out of balance. My mechanics unit self destructed, the bracket that holds the fan on top broke off and bounced around inside till the interior was destroyed ? Keep it cleared!

Heat pumps help fight global warming ?

Last edited:
Hard to say. Moving from our old house both the gas and electric bills in this newer house seem extremely low summer and winter. The "seer" rating on the AC is 22 I think. Does that apply to the heat pump top?

Thanks for the input.

Hard to say. Moving from our old house both the gas and electric bills in this newer house seem extremely low summer and winter. The "seer" rating on the AC is 22 I think. Does that apply to the heat pump top?

Thanks for the input.

That’s a high rating so it most likely will be efficient heating as well.
If you can look in the top and see the fan snow can accumulate on top during extended cold period and when the temp goes above 40 it will start to operate again. As long as it’s clear there’s no problem.

Back