To Heat, or Not to Heat, That is the Question

I have a 5 ton unit which required 2-300’ trenches. I went down 5-7’
2400’ of pipe. I snaked the trenches around to fit .

My yard was trashed for 2 years but saved me a ton of money so far.
When oil companies are investin in geothermal there may be somethin there.
They have the tools to go down farther without tearin up the yard too.

1+ . If you don’t have the space you can drill wells, more expensive but a little more efficient than trenches.
I had an excavator friend with a huge trac hoe 4’ bucket.
Thanks
I should have room, I mow a little over 2 acers
I'll be sure and speak with my builder

AC is on 68 degrees low fan just coping with my most hated HD symptoms
Mid November in mid Hudson Valley I never used heat in winter for few years Not my choice at all

Yeah it's on, sorta.

We've got a new (18 months) system that we continue to have problems with. It's an AC/heat pump with a backup propane furnace. The heat pump is insane efficient. The furnace was set to kick in below 40F, but it's not working. It needs a part that just isn't coming, supply chain blah blah. We reset the heat pump to work down to 20F. So far it has been warm, but it hasn't been below 28F.

Be interesting to see how low the heat pump will go, and be able to keep up. Or yea it would be cool to get the part too. We also have a gas fireplace we could use if it gets really cold, it certainly helps.

Still I say bring on the cold!

Yeah it's on, sorta.

We've got a new (18 months) system that we continue to have problems with. It's an AC/heat pump with a backup propane furnace. The heat pump is insane efficient. The furnace was set to kick in below 40F, but it's not working. It needs a part that just isn't coming, supply chain blah blah. We reset the heat pump to work down to 20F. So far it has been warm, but it hasn't been below 28F.

Be interesting to see how low the heat pump will go, and be able to keep up. Or yea it would be cool to get the part too. We also have a gas fireplace we could use if it gets really cold, it certainly helps.

Still I say bring on the cold!
The heat pump will work but the air won't feel all that warm .

The heat pump will work but the air won't feel all that warm .

Isn't that kind of the definition of "working"? Hence the word "sorta" at the beginning of my post.

So far we are warm.

Isn't that kind of the definition of "working"? Hence the word "sorta" at the beginning of my post.

So far we are warm.
Kinda working now yes, although at 40f outside you'll get over 100f+ out of the vents at 28f you'll get 85f maybe so the air will feel cool and it will run all the time depending on how it was sized . Not sure what system they put in but a Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 thermostat with an outdoor sensor can be programmed to turn on the furnace on below 40f. In stock lots of places.

Kinda working now yes, although at 40f outside you'll get over 100f+ out of the vents at 28f you'll get 85f maybe so the air will feel cool and it will run all the time depending on how it was sized . Not sure what system they put in but a Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 thermostat with an outdoor sensor can be programmed to turn on the furnace on below 40f. In stock lots of places.

Ours can be programmed to run at any temp, the question is how cold outside will it work. Like I said, it's "temporary" until the part comes for the furnace. If it gets cold, we'll turn on the fireplace and wear a sweater.

Maybe the part will come. It's an "igniter" and the service guy got the furnace to fire by banging on it with wrench, so maybe that will be part of the solution. :geek:

Back