To Heat, or Not to Heat, That is the Question

Asking because it's looking more and more likely that we'll be putting on an addition vs buying another house. Don't like the idea of 20 - 25 panels, couldn't stand to look at that shit. Heat pumps I'll look into. Outdoor wood boiler is still on top of the list.

I have seen some solar "shingles" that look way better than the panel. Not sure if they are any good.

I have seen some solar "shingles" that look way better than the panel. Not sure if they are any good.
I don't either
I feel it's simply bad timing for me. If this technology was further down the road I'd look into it harder. Other than the cost, my biggest hurdle to jump over is I haven't a clue how to work on it. All the other stuff I can at least fake it enough to get by.

I don't either
I feel it's simply bad timing for me. If this technology was further down the road I'd look into it harder. Other than the cost, my biggest hurdle to jump over is I haven't a clue how to work on it. All the other stuff I can at least fake it enough to get by.
Dig a man cave as an addition. A few feet down it’s 55 degrees all the time.

Asking because it's looking more and more likely that we'll be putting on an addition vs buying another house. Don't like the idea of 20 - 25 panels, couldn't stand to look at that shit. Heat pumps I'll look into. Outdoor wood boiler is still on top of the list.
Have you looked into a horizontal geothermal system?

The solar shingles are still too expensive. The solar panels are your best bet. Check to see what NYS is offering for adding solar. The other idea is solar thermal. You would use pumps to circulate water though roof panels that would heat up the water. The heated water is stored in an insulated tank.The heated water could be run through baseboards units or radiant in the floors. That system could also be used to heat water for sinks/showers/washing.
Here is an example:

I have a 5 ton unit which required 2-300’ trenches. I went down 5-7’
2400’ of pipe. I snaked the trenches around to fit .

My yard was trashed for 2 years but saved me a ton of money so far.
How many acres is your lawn?

Back