The Truck Thread

A lightweight solo canoe is the go-to boat for a lot of people in the ADKs. They are gloriously easy to car top.

A used 12 or 13 foot fiberglass solo I will be plenty light enough- maybe lighter than an inflatable SUP

I used a two-step step ladder to put stuff on the roof. Ultra light canoe didn't need it, but the roofbox did.

Not having a pickup was a hindrance for this trip we are on now. Needed to move our boat and lawn mower, and had to depend on the kindness of strangers. (Thanks @Cork!). Not buying a $1200 roof rack for the CRV (hoping to sell it next year). One more year and I'll be in the market.

I use a step like this to load my kayak on top of my Outback. It's light and it folds flat.
Folding Step
My ski buddy with a Range Rover Sport and two ski boxes has one of these for getting skis in/out of a box.

Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 11.02.38 AM.png

I use a step like this to load my kayak on top of my Outback. It's light and it folds flat.
Folding Step
beware of those, recovering from a fall a few weeks ago when one of them blew out on me. still a little sore

beware of those, recovering from a fall a few weeks ago when one of them blew out on me. still a little sore
Haven't had a problem with mine. Been using it for 4 years. I like that it is very light and compact. Rated for 300 pounds.
I do make sure that it is completely folded out and on a solid surface when I use it.

I have one of those but actually use an aluminum work platform more. Thats just for reaching up to tie it down though. I would never try to climb one while holding my boat.

dude, the struggle is real. My new minI van is taller than the Colorado w/ cap was and WAY taller than the Impreza. Lifting that fucker over my head is no joke. I’m considering hunting up the one of the 15 foot versions of the sealution just for that reason

One word, Kevlar. Or even carbon.

Back