The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think of you, every day, Harvey. I think about the fact that it was a struggle to drink 4 liters of water a day. I think about my six crazy chickens, and who would take care of them, if I were laid up for a week. There are all these little things that we take for granted, but then what if you suddenly can't?

I think of you, every day, Harvey. I think about the fact that it was a struggle to drink 4 liters of water a day. I think about my six crazy chickens, and who would take care of them, if I were laid up for a week. There are all these little things that we take for granted, but then what if you suddenly can't?

Sorry if this is corny, but I find this touching. Thank you.

The thing that worried me the most was not that different... what would our 14yo do if both Zelda and I were incapacitated?

Sorry if this is corny, but I find this touching. Thank you.

The thing that worried me the most was not that different... what would our 14yo do if both Zelda and I were incapacitated?
It's not corny. I get it. After my crash and burn off of Draco that resulted in screws and plates to stabilize a fractured L1, I was dependent on everybody. I remember how carefully I had to roll out of bed, just to get up. My son was 14 at the time.

I have a friend who told me that once something like that happens, you become mortal. That doesn't mean I quit riding, but I am a lot more cautious than I used to be.

Hang in there, Harvey! And, please keep the ski forum going! We need it!

There's no real proof of that.

My doc is saying "you probably has some amount of immunity for some amount of time. No one knows what that is."
Research is ongoing about immunity after recovery from COVID-19. Here's a recent report from the UK.

Jan. 14, Public Health England
Past COVID-19 infection provides some immunity but people may still carry and transmit virus
Study finds past coronavirus (COVID-19) infection provides some immunity for at least 5 months, but people may still carry and transmit the virus.

My friend who is in my pod is a single parent of a tween. She definitely worries differently because of that reality.

My daughter in college started a job a month ago that involves work that is medically related enough that she'll get vaccinated sooner rather than later. Definitely makes me feel better even though she's been careful and lucky enough to stay healthy for the past year.

Last edited:
Research is ongoing about immunity after recovery from COVID-19. Here's a recent report from the UK.

Jan. 14, Public Health England
Past COVID-19 infection provides some immunity but people may still carry and transmit virus
Study finds past coronavirus (COVID-19) infection provides some immunity for at least 5 months, but people may still carry and transmit the virus.

I actually read that article and several others. Based on what I've read the odds of a second infection seem low for some period of time.

I'm not saying my fear, or the concerns of my family, are based in science. It's fear, by definition not always rational.

When I got out of quarantine I went on a mtb ride, and came to this one pinch point on my ride. My route goes over a dam, and there is no way to ditch into the woods or do any of the various tricks I've developed to avoid clueless, maskless, loud pedestrians. I came across the largest group I've ever seen on the dam - about 30. (Usually a large group might be 6.) It took several minutes for the group to dissipate. I'm tired of people looking at me funny when I'm not willing to weave through a gaunlet 18 inches wide that they graciously provide.

Yea I know it all sounds irrational. It's fear. If you go through it the way I did, and you have no fear, that's awesome. The first real snow in a while, on holiday weekend just didn't seem appealing to me. I'm thinking a weekday a Plattekill or some bc in the Siamese Wilderness might be my reentry.

Also I get tired, and feel that my usual driving insanity might best postponed for a while.

Skiing should be fun.

I actually read that article and several others. Based on what I've read the odds of a second infection seem low for some period of time.

Also I get tired, and feel that my usual driving insanity might best postponed for a while.

Skiing should be fun.
Getting exercise is good. Over doing it actually lowers your immune system’s defenses. In college years ago was feeling really tired, went and got a test for mono. Got a call back saying test was negative, so I went to play hoops figuring just needed to get some exercise. Got back to dorm from hoops and there was a message, sorry, the results were positive for mono. Went to bed for a bit after that.

Skiing is fun. Lots of ways and places to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back