The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you sno. I’m old school. Toughen up, get over it. It’s how I was raised and I imagine most in this forum around my age (53) were as well. Doesn’t work with a lot of kids and young people. Most people assume young people can handle it. The “they bounce back easily” argument. I now disagree with it. Young people have few if any points of reference to measure true hardship by. Middle aged and above have been thru the shit. Job loss, career disruption, major illness, divorce, death of parents or siblings and plenty of other major and life altering events. In light of these things some regulations that may or may not make much sense don’t really move the meter much.
When I've faced other hardships, I've usually talked to my parents about it, and they've been able to point to a difficult situation they were in, and how they got through it. At the beginning of the pandemic, what was so hard was they didn't have anything to compare it to, and they certainly don't now. I think the longer you've been alive, the more hardships you've faced, and you develop ways to cope. Someone my age, or your daughter's age simply doesn't have that life experience. I mean I'm not even 2 years to living in the real world, and all of it has been during this pandemic. of course as you get older, each year is not as big of a proportion of your life. I'll also comment on Andy's earlier point. Never mistake compliance for resilience.

I didn't mean to respond with such a strong, combative sounding response. Sorry if I came across that way.

Did you even read the information and data I posted earlier today? It was nothing about vaxed vs unvaxed. Both natural immunity are effective and the combo might even be better yet. So to be clear I'm not ragging on anyone that feels differently. But I'm gonna call bullshit when someone makes statements that says states that had strict covid protocols vs those that didn't fared similarly. The body count says otherwise and the data I posted is about real people that are now dead.

I'm not sure why so many people think "sticking to your guns" in light of information that proves otherwise is a good characteristic?
No, I did not read all that info. I personally get nothing of value from it.

Worse it makes people argue incessantly with each other interpreting it. And that's the start of all the resistance stuff.

If you want to modify a person's behavior you have to bring them on board as a colleague. Arguing, name calling, and bullshit callouts do not accomplish anything.

That's all I'm saying. If we can't play nice we'll never have nice things again.

You guys need to take it easy on sno. He’s a big boy and likes to dig in his heels and defend himself and I love that about him. But assuming most of you have only ever met him in this forum it’s safe to say you don’t actually know him very well. You can’t possibly know the effect this entire situation has had on him. I say this as a father of a 17 year old daughter. High honor roll, 12th in her class, carrying a 4.0 forever. First school closure was tough but once summer rolled around it looked like she bounced back. It all came crashing down in the fall. Without going into specifics she started intensive therapy. Almost had to send her to an in patient facility. She doing better it’s helping but as a graduating senior college may need to be delayed a year.
My point is that without knowing the person on the other side, what you guys see as constant whining and complaining may in fact be a much needed outlet. I believe the expression is “before you criticize a man walk a mile in his shoes”
My oldest son had a bout of depression over the holidays. I hear more and more stories now that I'm attuned to it.
What has been done to our young people is an outrage!

You guys need to take it easy on sno. He’s a big boy and likes to dig in his heels and defend himself and I love that about him. But assuming most of you have only ever met him in this forum it’s safe to say you don’t actually know him very well. You can’t possibly know the effect this entire situation has had on him. I say this as a father of a 17 year old daughter. High honor roll, 12th in her class, carrying a 4.0 forever. First school closure was tough but once summer rolled around it looked like she bounced back. It all came crashing down in the fall. Without going into specifics she started intensive therapy. Almost had to send her to an in patient facility. She doing better it’s helping but as a graduating senior college may need to be delayed a year.
My point is that without knowing the person on the other side, what you guys see as constant whining and complaining may in fact be a much needed outlet. I believe the expression is “before you criticize a man walk a mile in his shoes”
As a father of a 15 yo girl, I can relate to this bigtime.

Hey Harv, aren't you glad you don't have to start a new thread every time it hits 100 pages like in the old days? I bet you don't miss that.
Yes and a million other things that were ridiculous about Nabble. The XF guys say there is no limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back