The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn’t it be better if we took some more steps to eradicate the virus (more mandates? masking during appropriate times - not now) so that immunocompromised people (or people with children under 5) could participate in society?

I did hedge it (ie "more about choice, but not completely"). Who knows what will happen.

IMO, the under 5 thing will get resolved soon, after more trials on dosing. The issue will continue to be choice. Right now only 30% of kids 5-12 are vaxxed. That's a choice.

The fewer people that are excluded, (from the vax) the harder it is to justify changes that impact the whole. I don't claim to have this all figured out. But if an effective and widely available vax doesn't get us back to normal, what will? If the vax stops working on the next variant, maybe we go back to stricter rules.

What would you do? Sure I'd like to eradicate the virus. Is that realistic?

Wouldn’t it be better if we took some more steps to eradicate the virus (more mandates? masking during appropriate times - not now) so that immunocompromised people (or people with children under 5) could participate in society?
This virus will never be eradicated, and everyone will be exposed. That's been clear for well over a year now. The fact that you think it's still possible really hurts your credibility. In fact, it's people like you that are the reason we're still in this never-ending cycle of futility. We have vaccines and we have treatments. Kids under 5 are at very low risk, in-fact lower than vaccinated people your age.

Let me know if this is paywalled.

February 21, 2022

Got a Covid Booster? You Probably Won’t Need Another for a Long Time

A flurry of new studies suggest that several parts of the immune system can mount a sustained, potent response to any coronavirus variant.

What would you do? Sure I'd like to eradicate the virus. Is that realistic?
I think where we’re at is fine. The Boston Wastewater levels are below the levels of last July. I’m fine with getting rid of masks when the spread is this low. I took the baby into a restaurant the other day & didn’t think anything of it.

Is it realistic to talk about eradicating the virus? I don’t know. Did people think it was realistic to eradicate smallpox?

Optimistically, I think the medical community will probably find a way to deal with COVID, seasonal flu, and even cancer sometime in my lifetime. Will that completely eradicate those diseases? I don’t know.

Part of the reason I hate snolocos post isn’t just that he whines. It’s that he just always seems to assume the worst (“we’ll never eradicate it”, “we’ll have to wear masks every winter”, etc.).

It’s the combination of pessimism, selfishness, know-it-all-ism, and childishness that’s just the complete opposite of how I try to act (except when I actually do know it all

This virus will never be eradicated, and everyone will be exposed. That's been clear for well over a year now. The fact that you think it's still possible really hurts your credibility. In fact, it's people like you that are the reason we're still in this never-ending cycle of futility. We have vaccines and we have treatments. Kids under 5 are at very low risk, in-fact lower than vaccinated people your age.
I live in NY. If they say the mask is mandated I put it on. Is they say it isn't then I'll wear it when I want to. Rules are rules. If you don't like them run for office and change them.

Optimistically, I think the medical community will probably find a way to deal with COVID, seasonal flu, and even cancer sometime in my lifetime. Will that completely eradicate those diseases? I don’t know.
What about "dealing” with obesity, diabetes, Alzheimers, Lyme’s, addictions, homelessness &/or mental health issues to name a few?

What about "dealing” with obesity, diabetes, Alzheimers, Lyme’s, addictions, homelessness &/or mental health issues to name a few?
Yeah, I think they’ll find cures/vaccines/stem cell treatments/lifestyle changes that can lead to eradication/reduction for all of those things, too (if people want the cures/vaccines/etc.).

Homelessness is obviously a lot more complicated. I say build more public housing. But I’m just one guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back