The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes
When I moved to ski bum it was the middle of ski season. I drove up on a Friday with 4 pair of skis, 1 pair of boots, and a hockey bag full of my clothes and ski gear. I had 500 bucks on me and the only thing I knew for sure was I had to be at the mountain on Monday morning by 8. Slept in my car for 2 nights before I found a place to live.
To me, it was one big adventure. Wouldn't change a thing.
You're not going to find a place to live here in two nights unless it's 20 miles away and you're sharing a house with 6 of your best friends. That was not the case as recently as 5 years back, but it is now. All the places that used to have rentals have gotten into the VRBO thing. Friends spent 4 months looking for a long term rental after they sold their house and they had plenty of $, having just sold the house for $3 mil.

Current HOUSE listings:
Screenshot_20220215-175740.png

Rentals, you're not in the bum category with these until you're sharing a room with 4 buddies in each bedroom. Maybe you've got a trust fund.
Screenshot_20220215-181405.png

The fact still remains that the character of a ski town is totally different in the off season. Some turn into these spooky ghost towns.

Last edited:
Whitefish, being near Glacier Park-Flathead Lake, would still busy in the “off season”, summer, I would imagine.

You're not going to find a place to live here in two nights unless it's 20 miles away and you're sharing a house with 6 of your best friends. That was not the case as recently as 5 years back, but it is now. All the places that used to have rentals have gotten into the VRBO thing. Friends spent 4 months looking for a long term rental after they sold their house and they had plenty of $, having just sold the house for $3 mil.

Current HOUSE listings:
View attachment 13000
Rentals, you're not in the bum category with these until you're sharing a room with 4 buddies in each bedroom. Maybe you've got a trust fund.
View attachment 13004
The fact still remains that the character of a ski town is totally different in the off season. Some turn into these spooky ghost towns.
Exactly
It's so different now than it was in the late 80's.

This is from California and not New York, though the covid response in both states is nearly identical, so you can expect New York to copy them.
Honestly, it's pretty close to one of my greatest fears over the past 2 years, that there will be an effort to make these measures permanent, or at least on and off every winter.

Here's a good article, basically comparing the way we responded to covid to the war on drugs, and the war on terror. Both went on seemingly forever, had no clear success, and a lot of collateral damage.
https://reason.com/2022/02/17/the-w...e-a-quagmire-americans-need-an-exit-strategy/

This struck me as the best quote from the article:

"What I suspect is driving discontent with the war on COVID, however, is that you don't need a meta-study to observe the futility of those restrictions. Two years into the pandemic, Americans have seen schools closed and reopened (and sometimes closed again), thousands of businesses shut down and return (sometimes in altered form), masking denigrated as useless then held up as essential, and mask mandates turned on and off and sometimes on again. It's simply not obvious to many people that any of it worked very well to control the virus, or, if it did work somewhat, that it was worth the trade-offs. Masking rules, in particular, are self-evidently arbitrary and absurd, as anyone who has had to mask between a hostess stand and a table or sat maskless at an airport bar surrounded by masked travelers, can see."

In the end, we did a lot of things in the name of stopping covid, which turned out to be futile, or even if it did somewhat work, it wasn't worth the cost. Yet I'm not really seeing the shift in mentality that I'd like to see from the federal government and New York State.

Last edited:
I was very pleased with Governor Sununu's State of the State Address today. He said that "Those who are born in New Hampshire are lucky, and those who move to New Hampshire are smart". That was probably my favorite part of it, as well as the part where he discussed turning "new normal" into "old normal".

“Here’s a thing that’s happening 3,000 miles from here. Let me tell you why I’m scared of it”

- snoloco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back