The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve skied with him once and talked to him enough to know that he has some vacation time he’s been saving. He should use it to go to Portsmouth or North Conway and see if he can envision himself living there (although, really, he should fly to Bozeman or Boise & do that).
It hasn’t snowed out here for like 77 years now.

I think that’s about to change starting this week.

Oh - I think this would go here - after the mask mandate lifted (other than ski school programs) this weekend at Gore, I don't know if it was a coincidence, but the ADK chair had a singles line for the first time that i can remember this season, which I took advantage of when kiddos were in the 6 week program. Not sure if the Gondi had the same.

My biggest concern now for covid is the mental health our society.
Sadly mental health was a growing problem even prior to covid. Covid was like throwing gas on it. IMHO people are spending way too much time living in the socially toxic environments available on Facebook, Twitter and other areas of the internet. Not to mention the toxic AM radio talk shows that I hear up and down the dial.

As for the NY mask mandate being lifted, I still noticed about 50/50 in Wegmans wearing this past weekend. I doubt those wearing "like wearing masks" but are doing what they feel is right for themselves, their families or just a simple courtesy to others. I'll probably keep wearing mine in Wegmans as a courtesy until I see masks wane significantly. Also keeping my mask on and pulling my hat down low keeps me incognito so no need for any "stop and chats" --- You Curb Your Enthusiasm fans know what I mean by that :)

Skiing this weekend I saw a few people wearing them on the mountain which I thought kind of odd as I hadn't noticed that before. Maybe 20%-30% were wearing masks as they walked around the lodge. One person I know personally was because they have a new grandbaby.

Last Thursday I met some friends at a local pub for dinner and beers and almost no one was wearing masks and no one in my group of friends was. Oddly though, I walked into the establishment at the same time as a doctor I know and she was wearing a mask. Made me doubt my no mask choice for a moment :)

As for work, while I do most my work at my home office, when I do go in we still have a pretty strict policy. Must be worn unless seated at your desk. I have a high risk co-worker so wearing is the easy choice.

While I was in Utah 2 weeks ago the signage at many locations said masks required. In practice it was very mixed but mostly no masks.--- In lots of places even staff weren't wearing masks. Other establishments the compliance was fairly high. For me, if staff was then I would. If not, the mask would stay off. I didn't get upset because I was wearing a mask.

Interesting to note that Denmark has dropped all restrictions. While they are seeing cases rise, most IMPORTANTLY hospitalizations are not so far. It's also worth noting that as a nation they have one of the highest vaxed and boosted rates, far higher than the USA. Who knows maybe it backfires on them, but hopefully not. I'll be watching.

Seems like (in a good way) the end of this is near and some people need to chill out :)

Reactions: MC2
…. He should use it to go to Portsmouth or North Conway and see if he can envision himself living there (although, really, he should fly to Bozeman or Boise & do that).
This is actually great advice too. If you have vacation time you should do this Sno.

He should use it to go to Portsmouth or North Conway and see if he can envision himself living there (although, really, he should fly to Bozeman or Boise & do that).
I don’t know sno at all other than his posts here over the last ? years. A bunch….we were giving him advice about not bailing on high school to go to his early college program at Clarkson.

I agree he should look west. But he should probably try to envision whether he can live somewhere he might actually live, not a vacation destination (unless he truly is going to live a ski bum life, which would be great but seems unlikely). Spend time in NoCo and Portsmouth, but go look around the Manch, Nashua, maybe Rochester or Berlin or somewhere in the Upper Valley. Somewhere where there are the Mech Engineer type jobs I picture he has.

Kid has been ignoring our advice for the better part of a decade. Not sure why he would start heeding it now.

As for the NY mask mandate being lifted, I still noticed about 50/50 in Wegmans wearing this past weekend. I doubt those wearing "like wearing masks" but are doing what they feel is right for themselves, their families or just a simple courtesy to others. I'll probably keep wearing mine in Wegmans as a courtesy until I see masks wane significantly. Also keeping my mask on and pulling my hat down low keeps me incognito so no need for any "stop and chats" --- You Curb Your Enthusiasm fans know what I mean by that :)
There hasn't been a mask mandate for the entire state of NC for a long time. A few counties or metropolitan areas put it back for a while for Delta, and then Omicron. In my neighborhood the behavior of most of the customers never changed. The Wegmans near my house was still requiring masking as of late January (I left for Taos in early Feb). But even if that requirement is dropped, I don't expect everyone who shops there to stop masking.

New Mexico still requires masking in restaurants as of Feb 2022. Or at least the counties that include Taos and Albuquerque do. Although I'm pretty sure it's a statewide requirement.

There are a few more people who are defying the federal mandate to mask in airports. Meaning they don't even have a mask in sight even though it's very clear they know the rules. But we're talking 2 guys out of hundreds of people walking around the B terminal in Chicago at Midway airport (all Southwest). I could overhear their comments as the past by where I was standing. Had a pretty long layover for ABQ-MDW-RDU yesterday.

Observed a similar situation in SLC in April 2021, but then it was one family among thousands of people in a much bigger and busier airport. In that case, the parents and teen son were unmasked but the teen daughter was masked.

I don’t know sno at all other than his posts here over the last ? years. A bunch….we were giving him advice about not bailing on high school to go to his early college program at Clarkson.

I agree he should look west. But he should probably try to envision whether he can live somewhere he might actually live, not a vacation destination (unless he truly is going to live a ski bum life, which would be great but seems unlikely). Spend time in NoCo and Portsmouth, but go look around the Manch, Nashua, maybe Rochester or Berlin or somewhere in the Upper Valley. Somewhere where there are the Mech Engineer type jobs I picture he has.

Kid has been ignoring our advice for the better part of a decade. Not sure why he would start heeding it now.
Right you are Witchy ! On all counts !

BTW : just curious , its been awhile , hows Ragged and Tenney doing these days ?

Right you are Witchy ! On all counts !

BTW : just curious , its been awhile , hows Ragged and Tenney doing these days ?
Hey Warp!

Tenney has not reopened since they closed “due to Covid-19” (really their waterbars had opened up and the snow was melted everywhere) in March 2020. Their social media, which was very active for a time before they reopened in 2018, has been on radio silence. And I have not bothered to skin for Tenney laps (I’m sure the beech whip, puckerbrush, balsam regeneration on the trails is thickening each summer). It’s unfortunate, because it is such an easy, quick sneak away for me.

I haven’t skied Ragged in probably 7or8 years, but have several friends who did the Ragged with Indy pass this year who are enjoying it a lot. Although they were having some lift issues on their 6 pack early on.

I’ve been a Cannon passholder since leaving NY, had Tenney pass too when they were functional in 08-10, and 18-20. And was faithful chaperone of my kids’ winter program at Loon back when they were a bit younger, which got me those days as well as a few comps a year.

At this point I’m basically 100% Cannon days. And whitewater paddling more in winter than I used to…..due to climate change, some better gear, and some friends who prefer it to skiing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back