The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ivermectin was approved by the FDA for use against certain parasites at a pretty low dose. Apparently Merck has been donating it to people in Africa to combat "river blindness" for 30 years. There is a prescription topical lotion approved for use on head lice. Apparently taking ivermectin as a pill to help get rid of head lice seems to help, but that is an off-label use.
Okay, but here’s what Merck says about taking it for COVID:
KENILWORTH, N.J., Feb. 4, 2021 – Merck (NYSE: MRK), known as MSD outside the United States and Canada, today affirmed its position regarding use of ivermectin during the COVID-19 pandemic. Company scientists continue to carefully examine the findings of all available and emerging studies of ivermectin for the treatment of COVID-19 for evidence of efficacy and safety. It is important to note that, to-date, our analysis has identified:

• No scientific basis for a potential therapeutic effect against COVID-19 from pre-clinical studies;
  • No meaningful evidence for clinical activity or clinical efficacy in patients with COVID-19 disease, and;
  • A concerning lack of safety data in the majority of studies.
We do not believe that the data available support the safety and efficacy of ivermectin beyond the doses and populations indicated in the regulatory agency-approved prescribing information

Okay, but here’s what Merck says about taking it for COVID:
Yea but they can make more $$$
Selling this?

I’m a Merck fan but?

Merck’s a world leader in vaccine R&D, clinical, manufacturing and marketing.
They stopped their SARS-CoV-2 vaccine program a while ago.

Yea but they can make more $$$
Selling this?

I’m a Merck fan but?
I looked at the basic info for the trials that NIH considered worth reviewing to see what potential there is for using ivermectin for treatment of COVID-19. There are quite a few in the NIH table (under the Clinical Data tab). If there had been solid evidence in even 1-2 trials, I would expect NIH to be quite interested.

I worked on three full drug development programs during 15 years at Quintiles. Meaning starting with the Phase 3 clinical trials and the projects were supposed to go all the way to the NDA (New Drug Application) submission. Only one drug made it. It was in use in Europe but well designed American trials are always required by the FDA. I was a member of the project team for a long time. The work after the Phase 3 efficacy analysis was done took at least another year, maybe more. The other two companies spent a lot of money on Phase 3 trials but there was no significant difference between placebo and the drug candidate for the indication of interest. The advantage Quintiles had as a CRO was that it still made money several years of working for the client companies. The founder often said that a CRO was "recession proof" as a business.

From NIH webpage about treatment with ivermectin, as of Feb 2021:

Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 7.26.37 PM.png

As an aside, Merck has been donating ivermectin, brand name Mectizan, for use to prevent river blindness in Africa for 30 years.

gotten a govt handout to help us survive
So many businesses and people are very thankful for what was done for us. That said, when should it stop? Right now there are help wanted signs everywhere, and owners are upping their starting pay so the message of low wages is getting out. Why on earth does this make sense to those in charge?

So many businesses and people are very thankful for what was done for us. That said, when should it stop? Right now there are help wanted signs everywhere, and owners are upping their starting pay so the message of low wages is getting out. Why on earth does this make sense to those in charge?

Sounds like Kathy is just another lazy state employee trying to give hand outs to be popular instead of working her ass off , I have not taken one cent of money from any kind of coved relief, I work for a living not living off of others

My lawn and plow service yesterday announced a 70.3 per cent price increase on THIS argument .

So I told them sayonnara baby , the CPI is projected at 5.4 and peeps on fixed incomes MAY see that in their ss checks come January, but no one is getting that kind of raise ( 70%) in the real world .The annualized new price would be more than i pay in property taxes .

A 70.3 percent increase is a bridge too far , i can buy a riding lawn mower a damn good one on what i 'll save and i already have an Ariens 9hp snowblower . I got lazy after hip replacement i HAD to have this service during recovery period and just continued it .......BUT that just changed

Merck’s a world leader in vaccine R&D, clinical, manufacturing and marketing.
They stopped their SARS-CoV-2 vaccine program a while ago.
Merck is actively involved in COVID-19 research and vaccine production. They are partnering with J&J for manufacturing. Merck is still researching oral medication for treatment of mild-to-moderate COVID-19 symptoms.

March 10, 2021, Merck

April 15, 2021, Merck - an FAQ
Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 9.44.24 AM.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back