The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear ya big guy . This is a matter of personal choice . You see at 77 after having experienced both open heart surgery and a few related heart incidents i am simply following what i know to be good advice for peeps of a certain age ? with co morbidities

I've been to 2 social functions where I played drums which naturally keeps me distant from people. But after - even with the small crowds when the whiskey kicks in - people start getting closer. So I leave..

To me the herd immunity thing is something that needs to happen. What better way to happen then to let kids go to college. Make them stay there, don't let them bring it back home. They are young and will most likely get through it.

Most likely.

I don’t disagree with you and we are taking my son back to Plattsburgh on Saturday and my wife and younger son will be in the classroom after Labor Day....and we have chosen not to opt out of doing so, it needs to happen.

That said, most likely doesn’t inspire a ton of confidence when you are talking about your child’s life, potentially.

My boys had physicals last week. Their doctor, whom we trust and respect very much, told us a story about a 17 year old patient she treated. Presented with headaches and high blood pressure (high blood pressure in a young person is very unusual and not good). The mother knew something was off, but it was hard for anyone to confirm or identify what was wrong. A previous trip to the ER got the kid a COVID test that came back negative, and instructions to take some Advil and see a doctor if he got worse. He briefly started to get better, then turned for the worse, which is when our doctor suited up and saw him in a parking lot because she was told by the powers that be in our Medical Group that she couldn’t see COVID patients at the office. A battery of tests, a positive COVID test, and increasing BP made it clear (to her at least) that his needs were beyond what she could do. She sent him to a major medical center in Westchester. They saw him....and we’re going to send him home. Our doc plead with them to look at the data she gathered and sent, there was something profoundly wrong, she knew it.

While this struggle between medical professions played out the kid crashed. Brain scans showed that he had 3 blood clots in his brain. He almost died, and if not for the intervention of our doctor he would have died at home, where the ER and major medical center wanted to send him.

What’s the point of recounting such a story? I mean, people, even otherwise healthy 17 year olds, die all the time, I suppose. However, although anecdotal, a story like this highlights the dangers of this virus, which is not just “the flu”, as some are prone to argue. This isn’t just a respiratory virus. This virus is systemic and attacks multiple body systems. Not in every, most, or even many patients....but enough that there should be some level of fear as we get back at life. That fear can’t stop us from living, but a healthy fear can help us all make better choices that can help more people avoid the virus and the certain bad outcomes many (even if a “low” percentage) will face.

Yes, it’s most likely that my sons, if they do get COVID, will survive. It’s also a fact that someone’s son or daughter will get it after going back to school and die.

Life must move forward, but minimizing the risk and danger is a mistake. Moving on is a roll of the dice....and the wager on the table is your life.

Yes, we need to get back to school and life, but we can’t be cavalier and glib in doing so.

Percentages or not, this is still serious and not like anything we’ve seen in a hundred years.

UNC seems to have made it a week before they now are shutting down.

Last edited:
Thanks for that story. Wow.

I think another thing we don't know are long term effects. If you go through it, and have bad symptoms or no symptoms, will there be some other manifestations later in life.

Humans are funny. 3000 died in 9/11. We saw it on TV and it had a huge impact. Heart disease and cancer are still the biggest.

This is from 2017, but if it was the current year covid would probably be 3rd on this list:

Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 12.22.49 PM.png

What’s the point of recounting such a story? I mean, people, even otherwise healthy 17 year olds, die all the time, I suppose. However, although anecdotal, a story like this highlights the dangers of this virus, which is not just “the flu”, as some are prone to argue. This isn’t just a respiratory virus. This virus is systemic and attacks multiple body systems. Not in every, most, or even many patients....but enough that there should be some level of fear as we get back at life. That fear can’t stop us from living, but a healthy fear can help us all make better choices that can help more people avoid the virus and the certain bad outcomes many (even if a “low” percentage) will face.

Yes, it’s most likely that my sons, if they do get COVID, will survive. It’s also a fact that someone’s son or daughter will get it after going back to school and die.

Life must move forward, but minimizing the risk and danger is a mistake. Moving on is a roll of the dice....and the wager on the table is your life.

Yes, we need to get back to school and life, but we can’t be cavalier and glib in doing so.

Percentages or not, this is still serious and not like anything we’ve seen in a hundred years.
Completely agree.

Not only has there not been a pandemic of this scale for a hundred years, no coronavirus has acted in the way SARS-CoV-2 does in terms of being spread quickly by people with no symptoms, including some who never have symptoms. Or such mild symptoms that they have no clue they had COVID-19 and were probably shedding virus for a few days.

My daughter is at one of the smaller campuses of the UNC system. She is at UNC Asheville, with about 4000 students. Happily there are no headlines for UNCA due to COVID-19. Most classes are online but there are a few meeting in person at lower capacity in re-arranged classrooms.

Duke Univ. is 20 min from UNC-Chapel Hill. It's small and private. Only freshmen and sophomores are allowed to move into a dorm. All students and staff are being tested. Out of the first 3000 tested the first few days, only 4 tested positive. After almost 6000 tests, there were 11 positive tests.

In short, each college is going to be dealing with a unique situation. Hopefully some will succeed. I'll be watching all the universities in the Triangle closely. I live within 30 minutes of UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, and NC State.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back