The New Normal

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't want to get a vaccine that is 95 % effective from getting a virus that could kill you and which you may never know where or when you picked it up to protect yourself? You only got it so people wouldn't ask you why you didn't get it? Perhaps you didn't have an answer to that question?
No, I don't want to hear from folks like you so I got the vaccination.

I went to the Farmer's Market (outside) and Walgreens last night. Everyone was wearing masks, except for one guy who had his mask around his neck. I kind of think that he may just have forgotten to pull it up.

I will probably continue to wear my mask indoors for a little bit to see how the numbers go. Classes at both Cornell and Ithaca College ended last week, which were probably accompanied by a few parties. Both schools are both hosting in person commencements on Memorial Day weekend. In order to attend Cornell's, you have to have either proof of vaccine or a negative COVID test prior to commencement. Each student is given two guest tickets, but you know that there will be other people coming along for the celebration, even if they can't attend the ceremony.

Even though I am fully vaccinated with Pfizer, I think I am still going to be a little bit careful for a while, at least inside and near crowds.
Wise move WP

I went to the Farmer's Market (outside) and Walgreens last night. Everyone was wearing masks, except for one guy who had his mask around his neck. I kind of think that he may just have forgotten to pull it up.

I will probably continue to wear my mask indoors for a little bit to see how the numbers go. Classes at both Cornell and Ithaca College ended last week, which were probably accompanied by a few parties. Both schools are both hosting in person commencements on Memorial Day weekend. In order to attend Cornell's, you have to have either proof of vaccine or a negative COVID test prior to commencement. Each student is given two guest tickets, but you know that there will be other people coming along for the celebration, even if they can't attend the ceremony.

Even though I am fully vaccinated with Pfizer, I think I am still going to be a little bit careful for a while, at least inside and near crowds.
CMR and I will both be at Cornell's graduation, with our Excelsior passes and admission tickets. We are grateful that the students are able to have an in-person ceremony this year. As of now, I think they are still requiring masks, even though the ceremony is outside. I wonder if they will change that given the revised NYS guidelines. The dashboard indicates that 75% of the on-campus population is now fully vaccinated.

Went with my husband to an outdoor gathering this week. It was the annual catered picnic for the local Garden Club with perhaps 75 people. Average age of the attendees was probably over 60. Also included a few young adults who received scholarships in 2020-21. The only people with masks were the staff of the catering company. From what I know of the long time members, probably over 95% of the people who came got vaccinated. Perhaps 100% had at least the first shot since NC opened up to all adults on April 7.

At one point we were watching an informal presentation so everyone was gathering around to see. I decided to move back a bit, mostly to be. little farther away from the young adults. They are very responsible university students and probably vaccinated but . . .

Stopped by Target to pick up a couple things today (Raleigh, NC). No more signs on the doors about a mask requirement. Still have a hour first thing in the morning on a couple weekdays for the "most vulnerable." Presumably that includes seniors or people with underlying medical conditions.

All the staff were still masked. Most of the customers were masked as well. Not particularly crowded. Probably didn't see more than 10 people without masks, mostly adults who are probably under 40 plus a couple of teens with family.

You didn't want to get a vaccine that is 95 % effective from getting a virus that could kill you and which you may never know where or when you picked it up to protect yourself? You only got it so people wouldn't ask you why you didn't get it? Perhaps you didn't have an answer to that question?
[Just logged in on a whim and was surprised that the covid conversation was still going on]

Have any of you actually read the clinical trial studies from the vaccine makers? Out of curiosity I did read them and was surprised by the results. It is true that they have roughly 95% efficacy, but if you look at the test results you might conclude that in the bigger picture they don't do much. I think that it was 16/15,000 that got the shot got Covid while 160/15,000 that took the placebo got Covid. That's a 10x reduction but in reality the numbers are this: Get the shot and your chances of getting Covid are 0.1067%, don't get the shot and chances of getting Covid are 1.067%.

Let's say, based on an average of all age groups, that your odds of dying from Covid (if you get it) is 2%. If you get the shot then your odds of dying are 0.02134%; if you don't get the shot then your odds are 0.2%. Of course you would have to factor in the increased odds due to comorbidities and age.

In any case, you are taking a vaccine that uses new (untested) technology to reduce your chances of dying from0.02134% to 0.2%. What if the vaccine has long term effects that greatly increase future health problems? According to VAERS, around 4,500 people have died from taking these vaccines so far.

On a related subject, I was stunned when I walked into a grocery on Thursday (in NYS) and realized that I was the only person (other than my cashier) that was wearing a mask. The signs (to wear a mask) were gone but everyone was wearing one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back