The Fire and Rain and Smoke Thread

FYI
The sky has still not fallen

IMG_2787.jpeg

IMG_2796.jpeg

Exactly!

Records are made to be set and broken. I don't buy into the sky is falling mentality. It's a cycle. Winter will return.

I'm fine with people disagreeing with me, too.
I'd encourage you to actually look at the data yourself and for your own region and several others that may interest you. It can be accessed and downloaded from https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate

Plenty of access to all kinds of raw data that anyone can analyze themselves if you download into Excel.

You can parce it out by month and look at the number of freeze free days (min temp above 32) and the number of days the temperature is 50 and above during December, January, February. For example compare the 4 decades before and after 1980. Or 3 decades before and after 1990.

What you'll likely find is a dramatic reduction in freeze days annually and about 60% more winter days exceeding 50 degrees Dec-Feb. It's especially apparent in the last 20 years.

Just got back from Colorado and Utah.. Fortunately I missed the smoke.. It rained steadily for 2 straight days while I was in Colorado Springs. While in Moab we had storms every afternoon.. I know it's not unusual to have afternoon T Storms in Moab. What was unusual is , Colorado is so green..

I'd encourage you to actually look at the data yourself and for your own region and several others that may interest you. It can be accessed and downloaded from https://www.weather.gov/wrh/climate

Plenty of access to all kinds of raw data that anyone can analyze themselves if you download into Excel.

You can parce it out by month and look at the number of freeze free days (min temp above 32) and the number of days the temperature is 50 and above during December, January, February. For example compare the 4 decades before and after 1980. Or 3 decades before and after 1990.

What you'll likely find is a dramatic reduction in freeze days annually and about 60% more winter days exceeding 50 degrees Dec-Feb. It's especially apparent in the last 20 years.
Yes, you've just described a cycle.
Thanks

A cycle can coexist with a trend.
The way you know that is that the cycle never returns to the cooler temperatures that were common 30 or 50 years ago. The warming part of the cycle sets new records, the cooling part just holds temperatures constant.

mm

Back