The Fire and Rain and Smoke Thread

The respirator works well but my eyes are still burning. Eye drops every couple hours.
I lived in LA in 1956 and burning eyes were pretty common. Smog was often so thick that you couldn't see a school building that was only one block from my house, maybe 200 yards. IT's bad here today, but not like that. Denver and Seattle have both had events like this past few years.
In other news, I haven't found a high resolution AQI map, but as of 1030 Airnow dot gov has the boundary between UNHEALTHY and GOOD somewhere between Lake George Village and Diamond Point, or between Gigi's and Ashes if you need a beer, I assume that's a zone boundary and not actual local measurements, but I'll be heading to the Daks soon.

mm

Last edited:
How accurate is the smoke forecast?

I'd love to come to the Adk to breathe this weekend, but if it got bad there, I have nowhere to hide, no AC, or tight building.

I lived in LA in 1956 and burning eyes were pretty common. Smog was often so thick that you couldn't see a school building that was only one block from my house, maybe 200 yards. IT's bad here today, but not like that. Denver and Seattle have both had events like this past few years.
I've had a couple winter-inversion episodes like that in Salt Lake City over the last few years. Smog so bad I could actually taste it. Jesus. I don't want to go skiing that badly.

I lived in Denver during the brown-cloud 80s. Trust me, it's nothing like that these days.

I lived in LA in 1956 and burning eyes were pretty common. Smog was often so thick that you couldn't see a school building that was only one block from my house, maybe 200 yards. IT's bad here today, but not like that.
Back when folks put tetra-ethyl-lead in the gasoline as an anti-knocker...

Smokey mountains??

Attachments

• IMG_1639.png
    IMG_1639.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 60
Back