The Fire and Rain and Smoke Thread

ugh 335

I’m working on a 6 floor renovation in downtown Allentown and can usually see the Blue Mountain about 20 mi away, can’t see 4 blocks today
View attachment 20421
Aaah got back my view of Lehigh Gap and Little Gap
IMG_7103.jpeg

I'm old enough to remember Mt St Helens and the high ash cloud diming the sun . Interesting vulnerability and a good reason for diverse energy sources .

The sky might not be falling but I watched ash fall out of it from a forest hundreds of miles away. Are you telling me not to be concerned? Now that it is clear should I forget that it happened?

I realized fires were burning long before they were in the news. I had a sore throat and could feel the effects on my breathing. I saw the haze from the mountaintops and the way the sunrise and sunsets looked different.

I don’t know why Skiology Matt is telling people that this is a once in a lifetime event. He predicts the weather not just a few days out but now decades? We have had to deal with smoke from our own fires the last few years in the Highlands and the Shawangunks. I was in Maine a few years back where there was thick smoke that settled from the California fires. This is nothing new or something that will never happen again. Unfortunately we will be seeing more of it.

Maybe voting has an impact but I’m not relying on a politician or a car company to come up with solutions. This is something we must do ourselves. I also don’t need a scientist to explain it to me.

I’ve been to the Greenland Ice Cap and witnessed the torrent of rivers a hundred feet below. I’ve seen the receding glaciers in the Alps with my own eyes. I’ve had to live with wildfires in Montana. As a lifelong professional gardener I’ve also seen the massive die off of birds and insects, droughts that have become longer and the lengthening of growing degree days.

Maybe some people don’t believe humans have a hand in this but I’ve seen enough destruction of our landscapes to understand otherwise. I refuse to accept someone telling me something different.

Last edited:
Back