The College Thread: Skiing, Academics, Experiences.

I don’t think I’d make the decision based on whether the college is the 88th ranked or 112th ranked program in some arbitrary ratings system. Feel of the college is more important.

I think ESF is cool. That’d be a good choice.

Maybe St.Lawrence University? I didn’t go there, but they offered me a lot of money.

Does he know what he wants to do with the Environmental Science degree? I was an environmental consultant for a few years, sampling nasty soil & water from polluted industrial sites and it wasn’t the *most* fun job in the world.
Matt makes a strong point : GOODNESS of fit is a major strong point : Socially , culturally , and whether your kid is better off at a smaller school with a strength in good teaching as opposed to a Research Institution that while prestigious may FEEL uncomfortable and impersonal .

Are faculty not only qualified BUT are they student centered and approachable or does your kid have to wade thru a myriad of graduate teaching assistants to get advise ? Class size is another issue

The campus culture is very important since valuable learning occurs outside the formal classroom and being exposed to a variety of opinion among peers from diffrent perspectives is extremely valuable for the further deveolpment of one ' s Emotional Intelligence or EQ for later life

It is often said that professionally IQ gets you in the door , EQ gets you up the ladder .

Lots to consider beyond strictly the net cost . Admittedly these times in the College game are mondo weird and make it difficult to choose , but Goodness of Fit can really help analyze the best overall move

Hey you want to learn something AND be entertained : Watch The Grumpy Plumber series on You Tube its a hoot

I watched one : how to flush your water heater ...DON'T

Lots of wisdom there !!!!!!
A good pickup , a Good Set o Tools coupled with Great skills and a Great work ethic will ALWAYS DO well !
Not exactly. Most of the plumbers I know are done in the 40s due to injury/worn out backs/cannot hump furnaces and water heaters into basements and tight spaces/cannot get their own bodies into tight spaces. Then what? Some guys run crews - but that is a nightmare if you are not a good businessman (college will help here). Also, if you get get injured, you cannot work. If I demo my knee skiing, I can still get to my desk and do my job. I have mentioned this before - the plumbers/electricians/builders in my neighborhood have had financial success, but all send/sent their kids to college (except 1).

quote-i-coulda-had-class-i-coulda-been-a-contender-but-instead-i-got-a-one-way-ticket-to-paloo...jpg

I don’t think I’d make the decision based on whether the college is the 88th ranked or 112th ranked program in some arbitrary ratings system. Feel of the college is more important.

I think ESF is cool. That’d be a good choice.

Ha, this brings it back around! My son has been at Binghamton for a year now, Environmental Science major, Geology minor, and he’ll probably enroll in the 4+1 program to get a Master’s in Sustainability. He’ll probably finish that in 4 or 4.5 years. His focus within his major will be in soil and water. What he wants to do with all of that he doesn’t yet know!

My son entered Binghamton with 32 credits from both Dutchess Community College and AP classes in high school. I found with all three of mine (daughter graduated Emerson a semester early, older son is graduating Plattsburgh in December, a semester early, with a triple major) that the community college classes had a bit more transfer value as we didn’t have to worry about scores on AP exams. SUNY schools have a very clear transfer credit program, but it worked well at Emerson as well. Point being? Take as many college level classes as you can in Junior and Senior year of HS. Looks good on the transcript….and those free classes can end up saving some serious scratch.

My daughter got a merit scholarship at Emerson, but not nearly enough to bring the cost to a SUNY equivalent. On the other hand, my nephew is attending UConn in the fall for the equivalent of SUNY tuition with the various scholarships/aid they offered him. Makes sense to look at private schools. For my older son a couple got kind of close to the SUNY price.

As to SUNY schools, it’s not like specific schools are for specific fields. You may be better figuring out if she wants a bigger school (Albany, Bing, Buffalo), a smaller/liberal arts type of school (such as Geneseo, New Paltz, etc.), or perhaps a Long Island experience (Stony Brook is very good). There are many others though, and most offer a wide range of programs. My wife and I went to Geneseo (teaching, business) and did ok for ourselves. Plattsburgh offers Supply Chain Management, which is what my older son is doing.

Like others have said, if you get a better idea of what she might be inclined to lean towards (teaching? business? engineering? science? other?) there are many here who can give you more pointed advice.

Back