The College Thread: Skiing, Academics, Experiences.

The SUNY's are very good schools but something to consider is financial aid. Basically over a certain income level SUNY does not give a dime. My daughter got into 2 SUNY's as well as UConn, Penn State and URI. We got grants/tuition reduction at all 3 and nothing from the SUNY's making the cost of all 5 within a few thousand of each other.

All we really have is a sixteen year old with no solid idea, and a dad who wants to get off cheap(er) and have his daughter close(r) to home.
Another way to get off cheaper and easier is for her to take college level classes in high school and/or take the CLEP and/or AP exam(s) and earn a pile of possible college course credits before actual college enrollment. YMMV.

Another way to get off cheaper and easier is for her to take college level classes in high school and/or take the CLEP and/or AP exam(s) and earn a pile of possible college course credits before actual college enrollment. YMMV.
My daughter bagged 5 AP classes and 2 college prep classes. I had to pay for one of them run thru Syracuse, but she basically saved me an entire semester of tuition.

Minimum residency fir SUNY instate tuition 12 months with beaucoup documentation of the other sa criteria

Indeed this is a great pathway to both exploration and cost saving .

Many moons ago in 1975 when I was a Dean we started a College in The High School Program

.I negotiated with several school boards and got them to ante up half of each kids participation and the family paid half.

We sent college faculty to each school for two courses a semester. I allowed Local school districts to select which students could handle the rigor.

So in effect a qualified hs junior could earn 24 credit hrs while still in hs saving their parents beaucoup dollars . The program enrolled mostly seniors .,but each yr a few very bright jr's would participate.

Later the program morphed into televised courses in the Late 80's then it went on line.

These kids went into their freshmen year a Transcript of College credits and we're well ahead of the game in so many ways . I had 2 students have Harvard accept these credits.

So as everyone in previous posts indicate : do it if you can !!

Don't be afraid to check out the private schools. My daughter got a full ride to UConn but my son who had 4 AP classes in high school and high a SAT score was offered a "second tier" scholarship at a private school which consisted of a group of scholarships from former alumni and other sources, and grants that essentially added up to about 90% of the cost of tuition and room and board. The tuition numbers to most private schools are just a number. People think because it's expensive it means it's a "good school" so the schools keep the tuition number high. But most of those schools have huge endowments and almost no one pays the full tuition. He (I) paid much less to go there than to what he was offered for a state school. And don't take the first offer. They don't offer any more that they think they have to. If your daughter has good grades and some AP classes she'll get some nice offers.

The SUNY's are very good schools but something to consider is financial aid. Basically over a certain income level SUNY does not give a dime. My daughter got into 2 SUNY's as well as UConn, Penn State and URI. We got grants/tuition reduction at all 3 and nothing from the SUNY's making the cost of all 5 within a few thousand of each other.
I have wondered about that. I'll be retired, but my previous year's income will be "pre-retirement."

I have wondered about that. I'll be retired, but my previous year's income will be "pre-retirement."
You fill out an aid application once and it goes to every school you apply. I know we linked to our tax returns so you are correct with previous year income. Current income was just a fill in the amount. I don’t recall having to send any documentation for current income.

A few years ago SUNY mandated free tuition (room and board not included) for anyone accepted with over a certain GPA (was only around a B+) and below a certain income level which if I recall correctly was around $90k. After that they pretty much stopped aid to everyone else.

Both kids had 5 ap’s
Both Cornell and Tulane spanked us hard. Didn’t save us a dime.

I don’t think I’d make the decision based on whether the college is the 88th ranked or 112th ranked program in some arbitrary ratings system. Feel of the college is more important.

I think ESF is cool. That’d be a good choice.

Maybe St.Lawrence University? I didn’t go there, but they offered me a lot of money.

Does he know what he wants to do with the Environmental Science degree? I was an environmental consultant for a few years, sampling nasty soil & water from polluted industrial sites and it wasn’t the *most* fun job in the world.

Back