The College Thread: Skiing, Academics, Experiences.

Anyone have quick rundown on what SUNY's specialize in, or are known for?
Worked at SUNY for 30 plus yrs which ones are you interested in , or what specialties are you focused on ?

Not sure.

All we really have is a sixteen year old with no solid idea, and a dad who wants to get off cheap(er) and have his daughter close(r) to home.

Home will be NY.

Even if we weren't moving she'd never go for TCNJ. It's like a mile from my house.

Home will be NY.

Even if we weren't moving she'd never go for TCNJ. It's like a mile from my house.
Make sure you check out minimum residency year requirements if you are looking for in state rates. Not sure about SUNY specifically, but some state colleges require primary residence be established X amount of years before being able to get in state tuition.

My partner got nailed with this when we moved to VT in 2005. I moved to work, and she finished her degree at the same state college. Even though we were established full time residents, there was a two year residency minimum before getting in state rates.

Minimum residency requirement for SUNY instate tuition : 12 months with other documentation of relevant criteria . Harv will be better able to help when his daughter gets a idea about her potential choice of concentrations . There are over 64 colleges in the system which includes the cc's but hard to advise until she gets several potential intetests . THe University Centers ( Albany Buffalo, Binghamton and Stoney Brook ,offer bachelors thru doctoral level degree AND are the most selective and are The FLag Ships of the system , the next level is the 30 or so colleges of Arts and Science and the4 year Tech colleges ( each has a particular strength ) and lastly the 30 community colleges .

If you want , Let me know when she gets a few areas identified and i can perhaps shed some light

Good luck in the search process

Last edited:
Make sure you check out minimum residency year requirements if you are looking for in state rates. Not sure about SUNY specifically, but some state colleges require primary residence be established X amount of years before being able to get in state tuition.

My partner got nailed with this when we moved to VT in 2005. I moved to work, and she finished her degree at the same state college. Even though we were established full time residents, there was a two year residency minimum before getting in state rates.
I believe it is a year. So we wouldn't be eligible for freshman year, if she goes right away, and our house gets built "on time."

Neither of those things are assured.

Plus maybe even bigger... will my teenager go along with my plan? That is the most doubtful variable of all.

I believe it is a year. So we wouldn't be eligible for freshman year, if she goes right away, and our house gets built "on time."

Neither of those things are assured.

Plus maybe even bigger... will my teenager go along with my plan? That is the most doubtful variable of all.
You need to call the schools. My son got into 2 SUNYs - one said you have to wait a year, the other said if the student is a dependent there is no waiting period. I do not know how schools get away with making a dependent wait a year. When I moved between states my kids had no choice and I did not get to wait a year before paying state taxes. Essentially, your dependent cannot get instate rates at the state you left and cannot get instate rates at the state you moved too? It is complete nonsense.

Minimum residency requirement for SUNY instate tuition : 12 months with other documentation of relevant criteria . Harv will be better able to help when his daughter gets a idea about her potential choice of concentrations . There are over 64 colleges in the system which includes the cc's but hard to advise until she gets several potential intetests . THe University Centers ( Albany Buffalo, Binghamton and Stoney Brook ,offer bachelors thru doctoral level degree AND are the most selective and are The FLag Ships of the system , the next level is the 30 or so colleges of Arts and Science and the4 year Tech colleges ( each has a particular strength ) and lastly the 30 community colleges .

If you want , Let me know when she gets a few areas identified and i can perhaps shed some light

Good luck in the search process
Cornell is a state land grant school & there are a couple schools there that are part of SUNY too, somewhat similar but different than SUNY ESF @ Syracuse campus.
The SUNY schools have a lot cheaper tuition than the private schools as ya know.

Back